Power Flow Exhaust

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

Jr.CubBuilder wrote:and you'll have to STC approval from the feds.................
Now that I think about it, can you just modify a certified aircraft and have it registered as experimental?
Jr.CubBuilder,
Yea you can have a certified A/C classified as experimental. But the paper work CAN be as problomatic as doing an STC. The other way aperantly, comming up, would be the classic A/C thing, that I don't think to much of (once you'r in you can never come back out)! Just stuff I have recently read don't know much about it!
brad
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

lowNslow wrote:Just look at modern auto engines. They put out the same hp as their 30 year old predecessors with almost half the fuel flow. This has been done with computer controlled ignition and fuel injection, 4 valves per cylinder, improved exhaust porting, etc. etc.
Modern auto engines run at considerably higher temperatures than their predecessors. (And the hp ratings systems have also changed. Modern engines do not usually put out the same hp at all...they are usually quite a bit less for all that increased heat they put out. They run lower compressions, using lower octane fuel, at higher combustion temps, higher exhaust temps, and higher water temps....not that such engines are a good comparison for our aircraft engines.)
Those that do put out more hp, usually do so with fewer cylinders operating at higher rpms and much higher gas temps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)