eBay SCAM WARNING!

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bilhelm

eBay SCAM WARNING!

Post by bilhelm »

My first post here as a member...

Alot of us watch eBay, a forbidden topic, to keep an eye out for parts we might need. I imagine most are cautious as to what we'd buy and how we'd use it, but occasionally, something pops up worth bidding on.

Recently, I bid on a very nice pair of original polished wheel pants located not to far from me. I ended as the second highest bidder, (bid out at the last minute), but the high bidder did not win the item as it was below the reserve cost.

A day later, lucky me, I received a "Second Chance" offer to purchase it for my bid price. (I don't know how to post it, but it looked identical to real second chance offers). I declined, but then was offered it at an even lower price.

The tip off? This came through my email direct from the so-called "seller". Still on official eBay letterhead so to speak. (I can email anyone if they're interested). Looked exactly as real second chance offers I've gotten do.

Without going into to much detail, it was not the seller of the item and this was a scam by someone pretending to be. Had I sent money, it would have been all lost (pay pal was not to be the method).

SO, word to the wise, BEWARE! Double check all offers and email from eBay on the official sight. All correspondence is recorded there and must travel through there. (BTW, eBays' response to all this was basically a big yawn and a "whatever". Just submit a "concern" to us via email please, oh yeah, don't worry, our website is completely secure!).

Food for thought, HOW did the person scamming like this get my email and bid information on a "secure" (yeah right) website? A real eye opener.

8O 8O [/img]
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

bilhelm,

Welcome to the forums! And thanks for the heads-up on that scam.

When you get a bit more comfortable with us here on the forums, let us know at least a first name and a general location. Hope to hear more from you!

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bilhelm

Post by bilhelm »

Thanks,

first name is Billy. I live in the southern tip of Illinois, based at MDH. have a '53 B which I got two years ago and got it flying after a 4-5 year period where it hadn't flown. I've put close to 200 hours on it in the past two years and just can't say enough good about the 170. What a great plane and to my kids, (2 and 5), it's a cabin class cruiser!

Got alot of mechanical stuff done and now I'm working on the cosmetics. Currently it's completely stripped and lookin' like a bad beer can. (I have a very understanding wife who loves the plane, as do my kids, but even she's wanting to get it painted soon). Getting everything done the way I want it before I take it to paint.

Speaking of paint, do you recomend, (or worse, not recomend) any paint shops in the midwest? I got a very reasonable bid from Tony's in Mena, but that's still quite a piece from here.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

And on eBay, another friend was recently scammed through pay pal, (paid 799 dollars), but since he paid with a credit card, was able to refuse payment for the transaction. Seems to be the scammers have found a new market, unfortunately. He told me of his adventure when I posted the story of mine. eBay said they would only refund him 200 of the 799 that he paid through pay pal. He never received the merchandise and the "seller" closed his account as soon as the money hit.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Bill, if you're in Southern IL you need to look up Barry and Karne Miller. He's re-done a 170 and has some good thoughts/ideas. Not sure where he had his painted, but it's nice.

They are in the Springfield area. Look him up in the directory.

They're super people!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Welcome Billy!

You're only a few hours by 170 from my old stomping grounds around Tullahoma, TN. There used to be a 170 fly-in not far from you at Kentucky Dam State park every September that I never missed while I lived in the area. Also, my current hangar landlord here in Tehachapi, CA is from Alton, IL, and both he and his stepson have aviation degrees from Southern Illinois University.

Sounds like you have your priorities right on getting your 170 up to snuff. Make safe, then work on the cosmetics. Also an understanding family is a great asset! Keep us up to date on your progress!

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
bilhelm

Post by bilhelm »

thanks for the info fellas,

Springfield is about 4 hours north by car, (only about 1.30 - 1.45 by 170). I'll definately look him up as I'm pretty much on my own except for everyone else's experience I've been reading off the forums which is invaluable to someone new to 170's like myself.

We love flying to kentucky dam is it is very close and a great fly out, day at the park, good eats state park place to go. We also frequent Nashville, TN as it's only about 1.30 - 1.45 from here and I used to work there so can take the family to all the fun spots. (BTW, they treat us GREAT at Signature at BNA, little expensive, but always get great service). Had a few friends in the Tullahoma area also.

I graduated from SIU with an aviation degree some time back, pretty wild that Tehachapians would have gone here. They made it a long ways away!

Actually, my aircraft 1839C, migrated the opposite direction. It was originally based in CA and moved here with a retired Air Force Colonel. he flew it quite a bit before retiring from flying so to speak.

If I can figure out how to post pics, I will be glad to post some before / after shots as progress continues. Tips and ideas are always welcome.

Billy
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

I received that same scam email about the same pair of wheel pants, I bet! I fell for it initially, but something about it didn't feel right. I wasn't familiar with "second chance" offers, so I went to ebay's site and read up on how they work.

The clue was that if ebay ever sends you something like this, you'll see it in your "My Messages" page. If it isn't there, you're being phished by somebody else. Around ebay and paypal, phishing scams are very common, I'm afraid.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
bilhelm

Post by bilhelm »

Exactly,

that's how I figured out it was a scam too. All correspondence HAS to go through eBay. If it isn't in your my eBay section, it's a scam. Glad to hear that you didn't get burnt either,

Billy
bilhelm

Post by bilhelm »

from eBay...

Recently there has been an increase in the number of eBay members receiving "spoof" emails with fraudulent Second Chance Offers -- that is, an invitation to buy an item they'd previously bid on, but didn't win.

To help you keep your account secure and avoid any unsafe transactions, please follow the security guidelines we encourage all eBay members to observe:

Check My Messages. If you receive any e-mails with a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, please check your My Messages inbox on the eBay site to make sure the offer is authentic. If it appears in My Messages with the title "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...", it's authentic. If the Second Chance Offer does not appear in My Messages, or appears with a different title, it is not legitimate and should be ignored.

Never pay with Western Union or Money Gram. eBay strongly encourages its members to avoid using instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment via these methods as they've proven to be unsafe when paying someone the buyer doesn't know.

Forward spoof emails to spoof@ebay.com. If you receive any email that refers to your eBay account and asks you to click on a link, look for the message in your My Messages inbox on the eBay site. If it isn't there, do not click on the link or enter personal information. Forward the email to spoof@ebay.com. This lets us take quick action on the fake website, and we'll respond to you within minutes to tell you if the message really came from eBay.

Download eBay Toolbar. The eBay Toolbar includes Account Guard which indicates when you are on a legitimate eBay or PayPal site, and alerts you when you are on a known fraudulent site.
Thank you for taking these simple steps to ensure safe trading on eBay.

Sincerely,

Matt Halprin
Vice President, eBay Global Trust & Safety Policy