propeller balance

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

gahorn wrote:
N9149A wrote:Actually (from memory now) the official spot with the early 170s was the number one blade at the 1 o clock position with the number one cyliner at TDC But then later Cessna found less vibration with the change to 11 o clock and that is approved for all 170s.

We have discussed this here before at the forum so a search should find more discussion and the documents that spell it all out.

Of course George will know and be able to tell us as soon as he reads this thread.

Let s see who can find the official stuff (again) before George. :D
If you attended the Kelowna Convention you will have received the Service Information Manual I handed out free to all attendees, which specified the Official Cessna Service Letter that addressed this issue. :wink: (Hint: It came out in late '53/early '54.)
If you were unable to attend, you may buy this manual from headquarters.
George,
I wasn't able to attend Kelowna I thought I bought every manual from headquarters, but apperantly I missed this one! will you give the mannual number so I have it on record .
brad
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

George,
just reread the post and I have no problem with sending you something for your informtion! I just don't have that info! and want to have it . Thanks,
brad
Velvet

Post by Velvet »

This new manual will be advertised in the next Flypaper for purchase from HQ.
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

Velvet wrote:This new manual will be advertised in the next Flypaper for purchase from HQ.
Thanks, Velvet,
I'l make sure I get the new manual, I have all of Dad's old manuals, that's why I couldn't belive I didn't have a 1954 setting of the props, That was regurlated and not Hear-say, thanks for your input!
brad
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Brad, ... while facing the aircraft, as if ready to "prop" it for starting,... with the #1 cyl on top-dead-center, the #1 blade of the prop should be at the 11 o'clock position, as if you are ready to grab the blade and start the engine. (From the cockpit this will look like hte #1 blade is at 2 o'clock.) Hope this clears it up.
George
Last edited by GAHorn on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:Brad, ... while facing the aircraft, as if ready to "prop" it for starting,... with the #1 cyl on top-dead-center, the #1 blade of the prop should be at the 11 o'clock position, as if you are ready to grab the blade and start the engine. (From the cockpit this will look like hte #1 blade is at 2 o'clock.) Hope this clears it up.
George
Time to niggle. :lol: If when facing the aircraft as if ready to "prop" it for starting and the #1 blade is at 10 o'clock, wouldn't it look like 1 o'clock from the cockpit instead of 2 o'clock? :wink:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The cockpit is in a different time zone. :wink:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:Brad, ... while facing the aircraft, as if ready to "prop" it for starting,... with the #1 cyl on top-dead-center, the #1 blade of the prop should be at the 11 o'clock position, as if you are ready to grab the blade and start the engine. (From the cockpit this will look like hte #1 blade is at 2 o'clock.) Hope this clears it up.
George
Time to niggle. :lol: If when facing the aircraft as if ready to "prop" it for starting and the #1 blade is at 10 o'clock, wouldn't it look like 1 o'clock from the cockpit instead of 2 o'clock? :wink:

Miles
I just HAD to do that. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)