How to get an stc for existing bag door

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

53170b

How to get an stc for existing bag door

Post by 53170b »

I am interested in a baggage door stc for an existing door on my 170b. I understand one is available but I have no idea how to start.
Not sure if this is from factory or?
Any ideas?
Thanks
Tom
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Tom, it is not factory. None of the 170's came with a baggage door that I am aware of. Del Air has an STC for it though. Get ahold of him and he will fix you up. Harry is a good guy and a wealth of knowledge.
Shawn
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Of course, for Del Air's STC to be applicable, the baggage door must be installed exactly as the STC stipulates. If your door was installed per some local mechanic's idea of how to do it, the STC may not be approved for your installation.
The Assoc'n library also has examples of paperwork to obtain a Field Approval for this modification. So many have been done, it's probably one of the easier approvals to get these days. $2 from headquarters.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
53170b

Great info on bag door thanks , butt im still lost ,

Post by 53170b »

Im not sure who Del Air is ?
Is that a repair facility or a person here? Does some one have any contact info on him?
I'm supprised it is not factory as it looks great, at least someone did a great job on it!
Do I get my mechanic to fill out the papers after he looks at it, or do I do it? 8O
Sorry for the dumb questions but I havent done this before.
Thanks!
futr_alaskaflyer

Re: Great info on bag door thanks , butt im still lost ,

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

53170b wrote:Im not sure who Del Air is ?
Is that a repair facility or a person here? Does some one have any contact info on him?
I'm supprised it is not factory as it looks great, at least someone did a great job on it!
Do I get my mechanic to fill out the papers after he looks at it, or do I do it? 8O
Sorry for the dumb questions but I havent done this before.
Thanks!
It's a company, click on the link below

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotecte ... 666109.pdf
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Tom

Harry Dellicker owns Del-Air, 2121 S. Wildcat Way, Porterville, CA 93257. Phone: 559-784-9440

He owns several STCs one of which is for a baggage door installation on a Cessna 170.

Apparently you or your IA have already determined that your baggage door was installed and there is no paperwork that makes this modification a legal modification in your logs. This would be your first step. Make sure it isn't already approved.

If you find you have no paperwork you have 2 choices to get it. Document what has been done and how and request an approval from your FSDO. You can't actually do this paperwork unless you hold and A&P with IA authorization. the FSDO may or more likely not approve the modification.

George seems to think you might be successful with this route but I'm not so sure. It may take a lot of time and that usually means money for engineering studies and more paperwork.

The other route you can take is to contact Harry and describe your installation. If it is the same or close to what he has an approval for then buy his STC.

Your IA then determines whether your modification was done per the STC instructions, he fills out the paperwork and submits it to the FAA. Since it is an STC it is already approved.

You may have to have some modifications to your installation done so it meets the STC instructions but that will probably be faster and cheaper in the long run than the first option.

So in short you will need the cooperation of an IA but you can do some of the leg work.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N9149A wrote: ...Apparently you or your IA have already determined that your baggage door was installed and there is no paperwork that makes this modification a legal modification in your logs. This would be your first step. Make sure it isn't already approved....
Tom, if you haven't already, I suggest you contact the FAA in Oklahoma City either directly or thru their website and order a copy of your aircrafts records either on CD or microfiche or hard-copy. You may find that in fact your installation is already approved and you merely haven't got a copy of the paperwork.

Find out how to order your aircraft records online in the MX Library under "How to Obtain Aircraft Records from the FAA" (Access MX Library is Members only.) Join Up! :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)