How to connect Jpi 700 to garmin 296?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

How to connect Jpi 700 to garmin 296?

Post by sanships »

Need a cable that connects jpi to garmin 296. Need the fuel computer to output to estimated fuel to destination of GPS and hopefully charges the gps at the same time. Who sells them?
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

These types of cables are usually custom made by your avionics shop or by you if you have the technical expertise.

The first thing you need to determine is if in fact the JPI will even talk to the Garmin. While your visiting the technical sheets of these items you will probably stumble on a wiring pinout or schematic for each of the units that you follow to make up the cable.

Good luck with the project.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Alvin,

Attempting to answer the question raised by Bruce, a few years ago I was able to mate up my Garmin 295 to my JPI.

I did as Bruce suggests' I studied the PIN out diagrams of both units and created my own cable. For the 295 cable end I had to use one of my Garmin cables, because the plug on the Garmin 295 end seems to be Proprietory and only available through Garmin.

It seems unlikely that anyone is selling this cable combination as the market would be very small. However it does work very well and it provides great information for Fuel planning.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John
More than likely your cable schematic will work with the 296 as well.

Not sure what plug the 295 or 296 has but if it is the round one Garmin has been using for some time the plug is available through the internet for less than $10

Check out this site: http://www.pfranc.com/

I've purchased several of these plugs and used them for years without difficulty.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce,

Nice WEB site, if that was available when I made my cable I would not have butched up my cable the way I did. :roll:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"