Garmin 496

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

theduckhunter

Garmin 496

Post by theduckhunter »

Just got my 496 in the mail. Paying the expensive package monthly($50.00) to XM Radio. The power and ability of this little machine is ridiculous. There is no information that you can get from 800-WX-brief that you can't get from the 496 that was just updated 3 mins ago. Forcasts any airport in the country, winds aloft, current conditions, tops, radar. I was very hesitant about paying that much a month at first BUT I am now looking at it like insurance. If I'm flying around isolated T-storms in the summer like I often do, If I can avoid just one cell, it is worth it. Shucks, I pay more for my cell phone a month than this thing. If anybody has any questions I'd be glad to let them see my 496 in action. The difference is so stark between flying with this thing and without it, it is almost like living life with the Lord and living without Him.

Robbie Yeaman
N2980C
Robbie Yeaman
Virginia
2993D, now 2980C a C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Send it to me, Robbie, and let me give it a try! :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
trake

Post by trake »

Robbie,
I hear it updates even faster than the 396. Ifyou lost your gyros inthe clouds could you keep it right side up with the panel page?
Im taking 93D to First Flight FFA tomorrow. About 1 hr 50 minutes
See you at the flyins
Tracy
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Tracey, assuming the 496 is similar to the panel on the 196, I feel confident that the panel would indeed be useful keeping the airplane rightside up in clouds. BUT.... it would be no more helpful than needle-ball-airspeed since that's essentially what it is....in HISTORY (due to very slight time lapse.) The gps actually only reports what the aircraft did in the very recent past (seemingly simultaneously, however)... and that is useful in fairly smooth air...
But just to illustrate the situation...if the unit were UPSIDE DOWN and travelling a course that changed from easterly to southerly...it would show the aircraft rightside up and banking to the right. Same thing with altitude...
The biggest error however is in using it as an airspeed indicator. It definitely has a 2-3 second lag...therefore is a bit tricky in turbulence if using it for pitch control.
Still...it's remarkably good and in a pinch might be a life-saver!

If THAT is a major reason for the purchase, however...the 196 is only $800, and if all you need is navigation, approaches, VNAV to the field, airport/runway info, nearest WX, ARTCC, AIRPORT info, obstacles, etc.... the (pretty good) grayscale 196 is a bargain compared the color $2500 496. (That wx display on the 496 is the REAL hot item, IMHO. But only if you intend to fly a 170 in wx regularly.) :?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

gahorn wrote: If THAT is a major reason for the purchase, however...the 196 is only $800, and if all you need is navigation, approaches, VNAV to the field, airport/runway info, nearest WX, ARTCC, AIRPORT info, obstacles, etc....
The Lowrance 2000C is color, has all the above plus terrain for $799 ($700 if you look around). :wink:
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There are a lot of exellent choices out there and a FREE avionics guide for 2007 is available at:
https://www.aea.net/Pilot/pilotform.asp ... otform.asp>
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:The biggest error however is in using it as an airspeed indicator. It definitely has a 2-3 second lag...therefore is a bit tricky in turbulence if using it for pitch control.
I've experimented with my 296 using its vertical speed to control pitch, and it works quite well... much less delay than the VSI connected to the static system.

You would most likely be successful in using it as a backup panel as long as you know how it works and its limitations... just like the steam gauges in the panel: they're only useful if we understand their operation.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
trake

Post by trake »

T he Lowrance looks good but I dont think it has a panel page with a "turn indicator"-correct me if Im wrong. I was thinking of a Garmin 196 in a "panel dock" installed where the glove box was- dont think it would be viewable from the pilots seat, however. Anybody have that setup?
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
theduckhunter

Post by theduckhunter »

I've been out today experimenting wtih the panel page, assuming that I lost electric power in the soup and maybe at night. The 496's processor is supposed to be 5 times faster than the 396 and thus update the panel page 5 times faster........so they say. I was very impressed with how quick the 496 responded and in a pinch I think it would keep the dirty side down and the shiny side up so that I could decend slowly through the ceiling or fly to an area of better weather. Shucks, maybe even fly a rough approach with vectors. It has a nice rechareable battery in it that keeps charged from the cigarette lighter plug and has about 3 hours of juice once the electric might go out.

For right now, having the NEXRAD returns in the cockpit is unbelieveable. Especially when going on a 2 hour plus trip when the weather is changing rapidly. I think in a few months I'll wonder how I ever did without.

I indeed do fly a lot in weather, but that is probably because I seem to fly all the time and use the plane for traveling whenever driving can be avoided.

I'll let yall know if I find any more great pluses or minuses in the 496. George, I'll stick the 496 in the mail just as soon as I can find your address!
Tracey, have a good ride to First Flight.
Robbie Yeaman
Virginia
2993D, now 2980C a C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
gahorn wrote:The biggest error however is in using it as an airspeed indicator. It definitely has a 2-3 second lag...therefore is a bit tricky in turbulence if using it for pitch control.
I've experimented with my 296 using its vertical speed to control pitch, and it works quite well... much less delay than the VSI connected to the static system.

You would most likely be successful in using it as a backup panel as long as you know how it works and its limitations... just like the steam gauges in the panel: they're only useful if we understand their operation.

Miles
I was referring to Airspeed on the Garmin panel...not VSI (which would be subject to errors due to updrafts/downdrafts in clouds/storms, and therefore not a reliable pitch reference, in my opinion.)
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

trake wrote:T he Lowrance looks good but I dont think it has a panel page with a "turn indicator"-correct me if Im wrong. I was thinking of a Garmin 196 in a "panel dock" installed where the glove box was- dont think it would be viewable from the pilots seat, however. Anybody have that setup?
Wow, doubtful it would be viewable from the pilots seat from that far away, I have a hard enough time reaching over to change squawk codes.

It would be a minor mod to install the dock though (:twisted: )

The lowrance products don't have a "panel" page, and they suck (can I say that here?) for rural Canada and AK, crappy base imagery and no terrain. Plus no XM. Not that I get that either, being up here in AK :evil: It's the 296 on a yoke mount for me.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
flyguy

Just a little bit off subject

Post by flyguy »

Im taking 93D to First Flight FFA tomorrow. About 1 hr 50 minutes
See you at the flyins
Tracy
N2993D
This is very spooky! As I was reading your post I was really startled to see your SN and N numbers in your profile. Our '52B (SN20845) carries N2693D and your SN has those same numbers. Now if we are ever in the pattern together I will have to announce "This is OLE GAR with OLE 93D" and you will have to identify yourself as "OLE TRACY with "newer 93D"! Awesome! :lol:
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:I was referring to Airspeed on the Garmin panel...not VSI (which would be subject to errors due to updrafts/downdrafts in clouds/storms, and therefore not a reliable pitch reference, in my opinion.)
Sorry George, I didn't mean to seem contradictory. I was just offering an alternative way to use the panel page for pitch control (in some circumstances, at least :wink: ). I fully agree that groundspeed in not an adequate means.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

futr_alaskaflyer wrote:The lowrance products don't have a "panel" page, and they suck (can I say that here?) for rural Canada and AK, crappy base imagery and no terrain. Plus no XM. Not that I get that either, being up here in AK :evil: It's the 296 on a yoke mount for me.
Don't know which Lowrance you had but the 2000C has both a "panel page" in a glass cockpit format and an excellent terrian display. At half the price of the 296 it is a great GPS. You pay a hefty premium for that "Garmin" name tag on the front.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

lowNslow wrote:
futr_alaskaflyer wrote:The lowrance products don't have a "panel" page, and they suck (can I say that here?) for rural Canada and AK, crappy base imagery and no terrain. Plus no XM. Not that I get that either, being up here in AK :evil: It's the 296 on a yoke mount for me.
Don't know which Lowrance you had but the 2000C has both a "panel page" in a glass cockpit format and an excellent terrian display. At half the price of the 296 it is a great GPS. You pay a hefty premium for that "Garmin" name tag on the front.
Ever take it into Canada, or up to Alaska? It was the terrain imagery for those locations that I was describing.

And I saw the glass cockpit features when I "test drove" it a little while back, it was kind of neat but didn't have all the features of the Garmin's virtual panel.

For most people those two distinctions wouldn't matter, and I agree the price is enough to make the difference. If I flew in the lower 48 exclusively I might also have the Lowrance, but then again I doubt it because being the gear nerd that I am I would want the XM weather.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)