Trip to Idaho

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Trip to Idaho

Post by Robert Eilers »

There is a good pass from East to West into Kalispell, along side Glacier National Park. A historic railway travels through the pass - I cannot recall the name of the pass. Between Kalispell and Sand Point mountain valleys allow flying at lower altitudes - just pay attention to winds aloft and sit it out if they are over 25-30 knots. The mountain Valley route will take you over Libby, which is where the movie "Always" was filmed (Richard Dreyfus & Polly Hunter - about fire fighters) If you are going to Sand Point don't miss Cavanaugh Bay/Priest Lake - great grass strip, lodge, restaurant and bar right on the lake. Camping is allowed at Cavanuagh Bay. I flew this route in my Champ on the way to Oshkosh one year. We were a gaggle of Piper J-3's, Champs and a Bell 47 helicopter. We stopped at Sand Point for fuel and wound getting our picture taken with the then Governor of Idaho, He had flown into Sand Point in the "Idaho One", a Beech King Air. Only one body guard who looked to be about 19.