Trip to Idaho

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

buchanan

Post by buchanan »

Curtis, I hadn't mentioned that Valier is grass. It is very good strip although the supplement may say gopher holes. That is kind of a cya statement. It is 3,000' long and 3,800' AGL. I flew dusters out of it for 20+ years. Valier is a nice town with a great view of the Rocky Mt. Front.

Buck
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Delta and I love laying it down in the grass... However, she does wear panties. I would not want to remove her panties if possible. So, that being said, are most of these turf strips y'all have mention exceptable.
Delta is my airplane not my wife! :lol:
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

If you get to Idaho stop by we are at 17ID, or OU9
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

The best book to buy concerning the Idaho backcountry is FLY IDAHO by Galen Hanselman. It has aerial pictures of all the strips, diagrams, info on the specific approaches, history of the area, and even a numerical rating system on the strips difficulty factor. You can order it by calling: 1-800-574-9702.

Joe
4518C
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Curtis, I have not read all the discussion but if you're going to the mountains, maybe you should take my prop, tires, and etc.. Not just for the saftey aspect but this will also be a perfect opportunity to get a Calendar Pic for Doug.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

AR Dave wrote:Not just for the saftey aspect but this will also be a perfect opportunity to get a Calendar Pic for Doug.
Thanks Dave! C'mon folks, keep those pics coming!
Doug
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Dave,
Thanks for the offer... Like I said Melinda will be with me so I will not be going into the more rugged strips. I want her to enjoy the flying and have no anxiety about where we choose to go. However, I would like to explore some of the more friendly grass and/or backcountry strips. That being said, those members with experience in the area are being very helpful.
Remember Kelly Mohan? I have lost communication with him. He lives in that area. I wound love to contact him. Do you or anyone know how.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Last I knew he was one of the pilots for Quest's Kodiac. If you called them you might be able to talk to him or at least leave a message. Brian
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I have his email and phone number at Questaircraft (but that is from over a year ago). PM you tonight -
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Dave,
Thanks... I am just getting back from a fly-in surprise birthday party. About 10 or 12 planes into Jim Bob's place called the Hawksnest. About 50 east of Memphis. We had a great party, food , live music and plenty of beverages. He and wife both fly Fedex. They have a wonderful place. Two large hangars with living quarter and 4000 ft of grass. He flies his Twin Beech 18 and cessna 195 in and out. We have had a Loadstar in there. This place is NICE!
Anyway, I meet someone with a super cub, from Atlanta, and he and I where chatting and he has Idaho backcountry experience. Needless to say I asked a lot of questions. He told me about several spots but suggested Cavanuagh Bay and recommended it highly. He is going to Idaho next week, what a coincidence.
It just keeps gettin' better. Made reservations at Sleep's Cabins on Lake Pend O'reille today. http://www.sleepscabins.com/cabin_1.html Check it out.
Later,
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Go to the Cessna 120-140 site and you can read about one of the don'ts of mountain flying under "Long Taxi" No blood or bent metal involved. It does show the benifits of flying IFR (I follow roads) in remote country. Though to have the same problems in a 170 you would probably need to have 3 or 4 people on board. I was out in WY this past week with my 14 year old daughter and at our fuel stop in Rawlins our departure was with a density altitude of 9,400 ft and 1900# gross. Keeping 10% under gross is real important.
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Things are beginning to come together!
Yesterday I, with help from IA, checked over Delta pretty good. I changed the oil and filter he cleaned the plugs and did a thorough look over. I got all the sectionals in from Spruce I need. The Lightspeed headset that needed repair should arrive tomorrow via UPS. Tried out the new Orvis flyrod and reel over the weekend. I am lining up my camping gear in the garage for the weight in. I bought Galen's book Fly Idaho and it arrived last week. Kelly and I got in touch by email, thank you Dave. Now all I need is good weather next week... I may start out as early as Monday or Tuesday.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Here in central North Dakota I am just plain JEALOUS of your trip to Idaho. I just can't get away right now to follow you. Please take pictures and share them with us.

Have a great time :D

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Bill,
I hope to! We just bought a new Olympus digital camera. Wife find it on sale at Office Max I think. The Stylus 600 a $300 camera for $200. I cleaned out my flight bag this morning and put an unused journal in there. I hope to get the wife the keep a journal of day events. Now about to update new data base to the GPS. Just a few more days.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

http://www.mountainflying.com/
Check this Sparky Anderson site out!