Putting the floats to good use

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Gar,
I can't believe that you didn't ask us to plan your intinerary in Alaska!
For Goodness Sake - Anyone going to Alaska has it made on this Forum.
GAHorn

Re: Putting the floats to good use

Post by GAHorn »

I just realized sumpin'. The rock those bears are on. How long was it before the second picture was taken? (The one with the people climbing up out of their boat next to those rocks.) 8O

alaskan99669 wrote:My son and I went fly-in fishing today. We had to share a spot with the bears. We ended up with four reds, the bears didn't get any.

'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Douglas, Are you out at Island or Bishop Lake?
alaskan99669

Re: Putting the floats to good use

Post by alaskan99669 »

gahorn wrote:I just realized sumpin'. The rock those bears are on. How long was it before the second picture was taken? (The one with the people climbing up out of their boat next to those rocks.) 8O
That's nothing. You should see the video. I've got a 2MB, 41 second video that shows how close this bear gets to the boats. The bear seems oblivious to the people. It's pretty bizarre. PM with your e-mail address if you would like a copy of the video.

Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

AR Dave wrote:Douglas, Are you out at Island or Bishop Lake?
Dave, Who are you talking to, or should I say... how did you know my first name is Douglas?
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Got my sources! :D
Several of us in the Control Room are trying to guess which lake your docked at, in that picture.
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

AR Dave wrote:Douglas, Are you out at Island or Bishop Lake?
Well then, keep guessing. I'll give you a hint... I live in Soldotna so it's not going to be far from there (like maybe within 5 road miles).
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
flyguy

TOO MANY LAKES, RIVERS MOUNAINS AN ANNIMULES

Post by flyguy »

YOU JES HAVE TO KEEP POURIN IT ON DONT U? WELL WHEN YOURE BUTT IS FROZE TO THE GROUN AN URE INNA SNO UP TO YER EARS U JES TINK OF OLE GAR DOUN HYEAR IN LOOSYANA, SLOPIN ROUN THIS OLE TOILYEDO BEN LAKE AN KETCHIN SUM BASS ER CATFISHES DEN FRYIN EM UP ON HIS BACK PORCH :twisted: I GOTS A PICTURE BUT DOANT KNOW HOW TU PUT IT IN THE FORUM :?: BTW WATCH OUT FER BEAR POOP WITH LITTLE SILVER BELLS AND CHEWED UP CANS OF PEPPER SPRAY!

I REALLY AM GLAD THAT YOU ARE ENJOYING THE WONDERFUL SPORT OF FLYING AND COMBINATION OF FISHING AND ENJOYING THE SCENERY THAT IS SO VERY ENTICING. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT MY PICTURES TAKEN ON OUR TRIP AND LOOKING AT THE "TOUR ALASKA" BOOKS AGAIN AND WONDERING IF IT IS POSSIBLE THAT WE CAN SWING ANOTHER TRIP NEXT YEAR. ONE THING FOR CERTAIN IF WE DO - IT WILL MOST CERTAINLY INCLUDE THE "KENAI".

KEEP UP THE GOOD STUFF!
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
dacker

Post by dacker »

I have been to Alaska twice now, and each time I tell myself that there is no reason not to go back at least once a year... it just never happens though. I have this little dream of flying up there one summer, or maybe winter to follow the Iditarod! Maybe we can form a group trip sometime for a couple of weeks. I would love to fly 84A up there with someone who knows their way around a little bit. Any takers? :D
David
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

One more post (for this summer). I flew out to Skilak Lake last night and camped out with some friends that floated the upper Kenai River. They said they caught several rainbows in the 20 - 30 inch range. I tried a little right there where the Kenai dumps into Skilak but I had no luck. The temperature dropped below freezing that night and I had to wait until after 10 AM for the sun to defrost my wings. So in a few days it's back to tires. I'm looking forward to the increased T/O and climb performance!

Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

I have been to Alaska twice now, and each time I tell myself that there is no reason not to go back at least once a year... it just never happens though. I have this little dream of flying up there one summer, or maybe winter to follow the Iditarod! Maybe we can form a group trip sometime for a couple of weeks. I would love to fly 84A up there with someone who knows their way around a little bit. Any takers?
David

:D :D :D DAVID, Put me down, I would love to return to my old stomping grounds.

Flew my first Cessna 170B to Anchorage from Long Beach, CA in January of 1971. What a trip, luckly I had a partner with lots of savy in winter flying. It took us 10 days.

However, would prefer to do it in the summer months. Are there any other takers :?:

Jim W
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
dacker

Post by dacker »

Jim, I think it might be a cool thing to start an annual migration to AK. Maybe we can put together an annual trip that other members can join in on from year to year, even if the participants change. In other words I might not be able to make it every year, but if the ground work is put in place to make it easier for others to join in on... hmmm.
David :D
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

mmmmmm I'm just sitting back and thinking about this! We would have an absolute blast! I'd love to help plan this trip, weather I got to go or not. The only thing holding me back would be a 12th, 9th, & 6th, grader. The 6th grader would go with us. We are thinking about a summer vacation, visiting 170 members, in the Rockies right now.

An Alaskan expedition would need to update the forum in the evenings so they could track us. We could fly around Denali and land at Kantishna with futr_alaskaflyer, meet Alaskan99669 or someone on the Kenai, might as well meet mit around Fairbanks, I'd like to visit the Hot Springs. How much time would ya'll have? It won't be long until my children aren't a factor anymore!

PS - I want to leave the Lower 48 by way of Flat Country Pilots, N Dakota grain farm. Stop by a friends at Rocky Mtn House, Alberta, and land at Laird River to visit Trapper, near the British Columbia / Yukon Boarder. Thoughts are flooding in!
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

If you stop at this farm along the way, it would be very difficult for me not to tag along. A trip to AK is a big dream of mine, in the 170 it would be unbelievable. 8)

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

:lol: Sounds like a great idea. I have thought of doing this trip also some time.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT