Hunting a 170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Hunting a 170

Post by doug8082a »

I was going back through the 170 books and reading the history and I came across the notation regarding N2500V s/n 18003 - the first 170 ever sold to the public. I read that it was last (U.S.) based in Montana and then sold to someone in Canada (a "Mr. McNiven"?) in 1973 and then involved in a landing accident in 1976. I thought it would be interesting to try and track it down and see if I could acquire it.

I've checked with Transport Canada and they have no record of it, but their online records only go back to 1982. I've spoken with the Canadian National Archives and have a request in to them to research it. It's a bit difficult since all I have is the serial number. Searches may be easier if I knew what it was registered as in Canada (Canadian mark).

The FAA has no record of Serial number 18003 either.

I checked with TIC170A HQ and there is no record of s/n 18003 or a "Mr. McNiven" having been in the association.

I'm wondering if the thing is stuck in a barn someplace and no longer listed in any records.

Anyway, if anyone has any knowledge about the plane or insights as to how to locate it, I'd appreciate hearing them. Having a penchant for history in general and aviation history in particular, I'd love to get s/n 18003 and do a ground up restoration.
Doug
tshort

Post by tshort »

I remember reading that, too ... I also remember reading that the guy that owned it felt it was worth far more than anyone would reasonably pay for it because of its "historical" status - I think that is why no one has repaired / restored it.
I can't remember where I saw that, and am not at home (don't have high speed internet - just dial up) so I can't track down where I saw that... ?

Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I read that as well. That bit of trivia was part of the 170 history here on the forum and in the 170 Book as well. I just checked the book and that asking price was as of 1982. Well, a lot can change in 24 years. we'll see what happens.
Doug