questions regarding STC

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

bipolar

questions regarding STC

Post by bipolar »

Can anyone tell me if those STC for sale to members include the cover sheet the one with the FAA stamp on it.The only 2 I am missing are the Slick mags and the air oil seperater.Thank you in advance.
A small note to all Americans on this site,Happy 4th of July and if you think dealing with the FAA is bad try Transport Canada.I will continue my rant on a different forum.
bipolar
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

No the STC copies available will not have that sheet unless you are actually buying the STC (not just the paper) 0300 C/D STC which is sold through the association to benefit the association.

I don't think there is an STC for Slick Magnetos. They are made and installed under PMA as replacements. They of course would have to be the correct mags for the engine they are installed on.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There seems to be a common misperception regarding "adopting" STC's and Form 337's to other aircraft records than the one's for which they were originally approved/accepted.
Purchasing a copy, of paperwork regarding approval for modifications to a particular airframe, and incorporating that paperwork into another aircraft's records, is almost never a legal form of approval of the modification/repair for the second aircraft.
Sometimes a "field approval", (which is actually approval of a repair or modification to an airframe that is scrutinized and approved by the FAA or their designee), can be utilized as a basis for a different FAA inspector to grant approval for a different airframe having undergone the identical repair/modification. But merely possessing the paperwork for the first airplane's "field approval"...does not grant authority or approval to so repair/modify another airplane.
An "STC" is a Supplemental Type Certificate.... a repair scheme/modification that has been engineered by someone and approved by the FAA or their designee for certain models of aircraft with that repair/mod. It is similar to a patent, and must be purchased by each owner desiring to so repair/modify his aircraft. It is assigned to specific serial-numbered aircraft. It is not transferrable to other aircraft by simply purchasing a copy of that paperwork from the owner of a modified aircraft. (Nor can one go to the junk-yard and buy all the bits-and-pieces of a modidfication and get the paperwork from the wrecked airplane, and then transfer it all to another airplane.) The STC holder (inventor) must directly issue that STC in order for it to be valid for additional airframes. This usually requires that the STC holder be paid his fee.

(The O-300-C/D conversion STC mentioned previously is actually owned by former TIC170A president Ron Massicot, who will issue a legal STC upon proof of payment to TIC170A of the required fee. In other words, TIC170A does not issue the STC... Ron does....but out of his generosity to TIC170A members he does so at a very reasonable fee being paid to the Association.)

(A "field approval" is basically a "one time STC", approved by the FAA or their designee for a specific serial number aircraft. It is documented on a Form 337, and their signature attesting to their approval occurs in Block 3 of that form.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Velvet

Post by Velvet »

My standard response is that the copies we sell are for information and supporting documentation.

Velvet