2007 Calendar Photos

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

2007 Calendar Photos

Post by doug8082a »

OK everyone... time to start thinking about photos for the 2007 calendar. I'd like to have all submissions by September in order to get better pricing on printing the calendar. So, please condsider emailing me any photos you think are worth seeing on the calender.

Remember, high-resolution digital pics are best. They need to have a resolution of at least 300 dpi when sized to 11" x 8.5" in order for the printer to be able to use them. Feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding size/resolution/usability of your pics.
Doug
Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Doug,

Thanks for doing this again. I am sure that it takes a great amount of personal time and effort to produce these calendars. It is people like yourself that makes this a great organization and a fun place to hang out.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Just a reminder, now that fly-in season is in full swing, to get those cameras out and send me some pics for the calendar.
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Ok folks, how 'bout it... anyone interested in submitting pics? I've received a few (and one submission even included an order for calendars!), but so far I don't have enough for an entire calendar.

Kelowna is coming up... somebody (Bruce?) take some pics. How about Petit Jean? I haven't heard "boo" from anyone who went to Petit Jean. There MUST be some good pics from that.

My objective is to get the calendar to the printer by the end of September to take advantage of a better discount than last year. If I can do that and also increase sales a bit I "may" be able to double the donation to the Association.

C'mon folks, time's-a-wastin'
Doug
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Could a theme for the cover be a shot of the flight line or parking line from each convention be possible or is that old?
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

That's fine with me if someone can get me a hi-res photo. That was sort of my idea last year with the Petit Jean shot on the cover.
Doug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Cleo Bickford as Association Historian usually takes care of the "official" aerial shot of the flight line. I'll bring it up to him and make sure we get something for the calendar cover.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I'd like to update folks on the topic of photo quality for the calendar. I'm happy to report that I've purchased an advanced photo editing add-on to my software that allows me to enlarge images without loss of resolution. It's not perfect, but it's darn good.

What does this mean? Well, many people have sent me digital photos that I was unable to use due to their size/resolution. NOW, I'm able to take many of those and enlarge them with little or no loss of quality. This means it will be a lot more likely that I will be able to make use of the photos people send me.

As I said above, it's not perfect. I would still encourage people who take digital photos to do so at as high a resolution as possible. If you're not sure how to do this, read the owners manual for your camera. They should all have a section on how to set the resolution for a given picture.

So, c'mon folks. Take some photos and email them to me. I should be able to do a lot better with this new software.
Doug
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Doug my intention is to wash the plane (still has Reklaw dust on it) take Ralph (Fly Low editor with quality camera) and fly down on the Arkansas River gravel bar for a staged picture, when I get home in two weeks. Or stage a picture somewhere else. If nothing else, trying to get a nice picture should make us get out and fly to some fun places. This month's picture on the 06 Calendar sure stir's my imagination.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Sounds good Dave. Send me the photos when you can. I agree about the August '06 calendar pic. That's one of my all time favorites. I might even frame it when I"m done with the calendar...
Doug
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Would any of the southwest (ie, North Texas ) folks be interested in getting together in Wichita Falls, TX for a morning of formation flying and picture taking for the calender? We have a large contigent of formation qualified military pilots here that would be able to fly along with folks who do not have formation experience. It wold be done in a safe, controlled environment with formaiton qualifeid pilots in all aircraft, including the camera plane. Let me know if you are interested.

A four ship of 170's by model and or year would look very nice on the cover.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

4-Shipp wrote: A four ship of 170's by model and or year would look very nice on the cover.

Bruce
Yes it would... 8)
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

OK Folks, were gettin' down to the wire for photos. Doesn't anybody have any from Petit Jean or the Convention? Also, I still need some ski pics...

I need to have your submissions by the end of September.
Doug
AR Dave

Calendar

Post by AR Dave »

Stay on us! I'm going home for only a week - the 7th..
I've scheduled my medical on the 8th and trying to get my BFR that afternoon. That way I can go get a Calendar picture.
I'll try to send some pic's today to see what you think. Don't think I have any good pix pics. One problem is I crop and auto corrected them and I'm not sure I have original version.
Please use the Aug photo again next year.
Dave
Last edited by AR Dave on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Well, Dave just inundated my email with about 20 PJ pics... Thanks! Send me whatever other ones you can. I like having extras. Gives me stuff to work with for next year if I don't get a lot of submissions.

Couldn't quite make out your last sentence... was that a request for the Aug. '06 photo to appear in the 2007 or 2008 calendar somewhere? That certainly is a heck of a picture...
Doug