Hello C-170 Drivers

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

5777c

Hello C-170 Drivers

Post by 5777c »

I just wanted to introduce myself to all you C-170 drivers out there. My name is Lars Nelson. I reside at Wolf Lake Aero Subdivision near Wasilla Ak. where I own a hangar/home. Wolf Lake is great little airfield with a 4000 ft paved E/W runway and a 3600 ft gravel N/S strip. And YES visitors are welcome.

I joined the association late last summer and simply can't say enough favorable thinks about the association and it's forums. Public access to the forums and supporting information ultimately led me to purchase a 170-A prior to even paying my dues. Personally, I think public access to the forums offers pilots an initial opportunity to see what an economical aircaft the C-170 can be and promotes preservation of the sustaining fleet. For those unwilling to pay their dues after discovering the C-170 is for them, well shame on you.

For the previous 15 years I have been primarily interested in commercial aviation and pursuit of advancing my career. Quite frankly, I had lost that loving feeling for flying. Thanks to my C-170 I have been able to re-visit the shear pleasure of looking at mother earth as opposed to the panel at FL 390. The best part is, revenue flying is now much more enjoyable, provided I get my C-170 transfusion.

I have to throw a plug in here which may help you 170-A drivers. When I bought my airplane last summer the doghouse engine covers were a sore sight . They were chafed and the baffling material was in bad repair. So at last annual I contracted Airframes Inc. to produce a new set of doghouse covers. They did an excellent job! The incremental breaks to form the curves and attach points for baffling material were quite well thought out. My mechanic and I did have to install the baffling material and d-zuc fasteners ourselves but the final product wound up being first cabin. Although I opted not to do it powder coating is a option which would really dress it out. The total price was 350.00 for the L/R & center pieces. I know this is the first set of this type AI had produced so the next set should be even nicer and possibly cheaper. :lol: They are big supporters of the association and speak highly of George.

Anyway hello to all and I look forward to meeting many of you in Kelowna this summer.

Lars
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Welcome aboard!! I'm also an "A" model guy, though I'm a bit further south (northern California). I have also had the same experience you have ... that this airplane makes me a better pilot and a happier pilot!
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

Hello Lars, I'm 'bout 180 miles north of you up here. Joined last year too and have gotten a ton of info from the association. Probably won't make it to Kelowna (that's my busy season) but I look forward to running into you somewhere else. Maybe at the Alaska Airmens show next month?
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

I know that airstrip. That's the closest I've ever come to ground looping (and I hope I never get that close again). I was taking a friend to visit his friend Cody that has a hangar / home on that strip. What a great set-up that is. I was there last fall with only a few hours in my 170B. I've since been mostly on skis which may be impossible to ground loop. But I put the wheels back on yesterday and plan on practicing those straight and level landings today. We don't get the winds here in Soldotna like Wolf Lake.
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
5777c

N5777C Wrote:

Post by 5777c »

Corey

I know the feeling. If I had anything bad to say about Wolf Lake it's the strange wind patterns. I've only got about 30 hours in my 170 and if it wasn't for the WL winds it would probably be twice that. The paved strip is only 50 ft wide and runs downhill at both ends. Suffice to say I've been close to a groundloop on a few occasions over the past several months. At first I thought it was my inexperience in the airplane but I've had no problems at Merrill, Wasilla Palmer and gravel is certainly no issue even in winds. I thought maybe I had a gear alignment problem but that checked out OK. Anway I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I haven't frightened myself in the last dozen or so landings. But I always put my spurs on when when landing at WL (4AK6).

Lars
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Greetings Lars,
I am a very close neighbor at 2 miles away from Wolf Lake at Anderson Lake Airpark. In fact I just landed at WL on Friday to get gas. Price jumped from $3.66 to $3.98 ouch! I just moved here 6 months ago, and the winter winds can be a real "son of beach". It's way windier than I had anticipated and I only moved here from Birchwood, 20 miles away! As you know our strip is only 2000' x35' and surrounded by trees so the challenge is right up there with the 45 degree gusting Matanuska crosswind sinking over the trees right at the runway. Everyone out here says the summer is much better though. We'll have to get together for coffee and compare notes.

Regards, Bruce Christie, '53 170B
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Lived on Trunk Rd for 15 yrs and made a lot of T&G's on WL rnwy. Hey Bruce next time you go by 4 corners, would you look over towards Wicks Airstrip and see if that 55 original paint (polished & green) 170B is still sitting there? That's the one that's been abandoned for 15yrs..
5777c

N5777C Wrote:

Post by 5777c »

Bruce:

Coffee sounds great. I've been into Anderson Lake twice with a 172 and your right the approach when landing west was rather exciting. I hesitated getting down after I cleared the trees and nearly used the water ramp to get stopped. (Just Kidding 8O ) Oh well, I was taking the airplane to Mat Air to get floats put on anyway. Short Taxi :oops: Man, 3.98 I think the Chevron in Wasilla is going to start getting my business.

AR Dave: I pulled into Wicks about a month ago and the green and silver 170 was still sitting there. No engine but it's fairly polished looking from
50 feet anyway.

Lars
dlinsley

Post by dlinsley »

Last I knew that 170 belonged to a career military guy who was stationed overseas.
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

I have a “B” with the Avcon conversion and Sportsman STOL.

I’m putting it on Wipline 2100’s next month. I have 22 hours float time so I already know it all!! ;>) I’m an ex-crop duster and intend to approach float flying cautiously.

If you or any other Alaskans are in the interior feel free to stop in. We are in the process of finishing our house but could figure out something. I could also get fuel at least close to you if you were on floats if only via 5 gal. cans.

Regards, Buck Buchanan
buchanan

Post by buchanan »

Hi Lars,

The first part of my post didn't make it..........Undoubtedly operator error.

We live in Galena and live on Alexander Lake which is on the edge of "new" town. I built a 6 X 24 ft. dock this spring which is now sitting on the ice waiting for it to turn to water.

We plan to go to the trade show in Anchorage the 6th and 7th. Plan to fly to FAI and then drive to ANC.

Buck
5777c

Lars Wrote:

Post by 5777c »

Buck,

Sounds like your truely in Gods country. Also sounds like I now have an excuse to go get a $100.00 cup of coffee up in the interior. Fuel is no problem at Wolf lake. None avaiable on the dock but the pumps are a short distance away from the slips. Tranfering via cans is easy enough. Look forward to meeting you. Unfortunately I have to do the Learjet thing in KTN during the AAA show so I won't be there.

Lars