Google Earth

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

phantomphixer

Google Earth

Post by phantomphixer »

Okay all you rocket scientist computer users, here's a new way to use Google Earth.
You can overlay sectional maps using Google Earth. Go to the following link: http://www.fboweb.com/antest/ge/intro.aspx
I'll leave it up to you to find and follow the instructions.
You can also watch big iron landing (real time) at 1/2 dozen big US airports.
Post your comments about it when you get a chance. Good luck.
Phantomphixer
55' 170B N3585C
Somerton, AZ
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Very cool!!
Speaking of Goggle earth, I just discovered an amazing feature I didn't know about. You can download your tracks from a Garmin or Magellan Gps and "it will fly your track. You also can set up a route in the GPS, download it, and it will fly the route. You can tilt the view so it looks like you are looking out the front window. It has some limitations and there are still a few bugs in the system (like the pause does not work) but it is pretty neat! . It requires an upgrade, - $20.00 for a one year subscription.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
HA

Post by HA »

is that a subscription to Google Earth or something from Garmin to replay the tracks? where do you find the instructions?

Hans
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

You need google earth plus. If you have google earth there is an option in one of the drop down menus to upgrade to google earth plus. If you don't have google earth yet you can get either the free version or google plus here:

http://earth.google.com/

To download your tracks go to tools / gps device. You just the plug the gps into your computer and it downloads. The tracks and routes will be put in "places". Highlight your track, go to view / play tour and you are off. To set a "cockpit" like view go to tools / options / control / advanced and set the camera angle to around 80 degrees. You have to play around a bit to figure it all out as there are not a lot of instructions , but it is pretty straight forward. I am not all that swift with computers and I found it fairly easy. Some areas have resolution that is almost video like - other areas.... not so good.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"