EU Bans 92 Airlines

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

EU Bans 92 Airlines

Post by cessna170bdriver »

This is an excerpt from an article discussing the banning of 92 different airlines from operating in European Union countries.

The flight ban also applies to Ariana Afghan Airlines, North Korea's Air Koryo and Thailand's Phuket Airlines. Two airlines each from Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan were listed as well.

Just how would one pronounce the name of Thailand's airline? 8O :oops:
Last edited by cessna170bdriver on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Velvet

Post by Velvet »

My son's family currently has an exchange student from Thailand living with them. Should I ask her the pronunciation, or it is better left alone?

Velvet
cessna170bdriver

Velvet,

I asked the question with tongue firmly in cheek. I didn't really expect a serious answer, but if you're really curious, ask her. :lol: I suppose that even if that airline got their safety program in order, they would have come up with a new name to operate in English-speaking countries. :o

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

From wikkipedia.org:

The ph of "Phuket" is an aspirated hard "p", not a soft "f", so the name is pronounced (roughly) "Poo-get". The name Phuket is apparently derived from the word Bukit in Malay which means mountain or hill, as this is what the island appears like from a distance.

Whew, that was close!
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Velvet

Post by Velvet »

I'm glad I don't have to ask Picsacha how to pronounce that. I was afraid I'd embarrass myself.

Velvet
Pavewlc

Post by Pavewlc »

Very close..."Pu-Ket" hard "P" and hard "K". Pretty nice place at least before the big wave. Not sure how it faired afterwards. As a helo driver I was put up near the golden triangle...the "stuck wing" drivers got to hang around the beach down there.

Lee
Lee Collins
1951 C170A
N1733D