Horton Fiberglass Tape Aileron Gap Seals

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CraigH

Horton Fiberglass Tape Aileron Gap Seals

Post by CraigH »

Anybody running these? Sure sounds like an easy way to imporove aileron performance at low speeds without any riviting or painting. :?: Also, they are relatively inexpensive (in airplanes EVERYTHING is relative).
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A really simple (if not exactly legal) way to see what gap seals will do (or not) for your airplane is to get a roll of duct tape, make temporary seals with it, and make a comparison flight, before you actually do the deed.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Gap Seals

Post by 170C »

Just make sure the duct tape is marked FAA-PMA and your home free :wink:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
N1277D

Re: Duct Tape

Post by N1277D »

There is something called aluminum tape that works well for sealing the gaps on the A model flaps. It is even PMAd
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Just got back from a test flight after the Horton Aileron Gap Seal (tape) install. All I can say is INCREDIBLE! The aileron feel is much more positive in slow flight, and gives the plane a much more stable feel. They'd be a bargain at 4 times the price.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So you paid how much for this tape? How is it approved for the 170?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

$105. I'm sure the tape cost about $5 itself, and the rest covers the cost of the STC. ;)

http://hortonstolcraft.com/Flap%20&%20A ... Prices.htm

Unfortunately, the STC only covers 1952-1956 B models.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
trake

Post by trake »

Craig,
Im not much for mods, especially mods that effect the flying characteristics but this is interesting. Do they increase the float in the flare or noticably lower the stall speed? At what speed do they take effect or can you notice them at cruise? Any climb rate improvement? Ive flown them on a cherokee and they were a noticable but not a major improvement.
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
Bruce Fenstermacher

trake wrote:Craig,
... I've flown them on a cherokee and they were a noticeable but not a major improvement.
Tracy what Cherokee did you fly them on and did it have both he aileron and flap seals?

I put them on my '67 Cherokee with the hershey bar wing and they were a dramatic improvement in aileron control in general and specially at slow speeds. I felt they also lowered the stall about 5 mph with full aileron authority right to stall. I never had a guest Cherokee pilot who after flying it didn't agree.

I'd expect improvement in these same areas no matter what aircraft you put the tape on.

The tape seals the area between the wing and aileron or flap which doesn't let the high pressure under the wing leak to the low pressure above creating more lift and because the a pocket of pressure is built up in the aileron gap air flow over the hinge line is smother reducing drag. At least that is how in laymen's terms it has been explained to me.

I do know that in the older modeling days before modern bendable plastic hinges, model airplane hinges had real pins. These hinges took skill to install without any gap between the wing and the aileron. It was not unusual for big gaps in beginners planes. One trick we instructors used to fix this was to tape the hinge line closed and nearly doubling the aileron, elevator or rudder authority.

Of course in some cases like the semi fowler flaps we have on our B models sealing the gap may actually be detrimental to the effect of the flaps as they where designed to have the air flow thought the hinge gap from below the wing.

If I didn't already have vortex generators installed, another mod some people don't think works, I'd be very interested in the tape mod.

trake

Post by trake »

Bruce,
It was a Cherokee 140 with the hershey bar wing, aileron seals only, about 20 years ago. Crisper aileron response, especially at low speeds and seemed to pop off the ground quicker on takeoff. It wasnt my plane and didnt explore the stall behavior.
Most obvious handling shortcoming of the 170 is the soft ailerons at low speeds IMHO If the tape could help the ailerons without increasing 'float' in the flare Im interested.
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Tracy, I couldn't tell any increase in speed. Stall might be a little lower, but I don't have any hard and fast numbers. If there is any improvement in cruising speed / stall speed it is probably insignifigant. However, the aileron control itself was a marked improvement over the pre-seal feel.

For $100 bucks and a couple hours (worst case) to install, I don't see how anyone could go wrong.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
Bruce Fenstermacher

Tracy and Craig

Based on my previously mentioned experiance I'm not surprised at Craigs result, more effective aileron control. If it were legal all of my moving surfaces on both of my planes would be sealed.

Tracy before I plunked down $105 I might explore some very carefully and strategically placed ACE Aeromotive duct tape. Good clear plastic shipping tape could be substituted if silver isn't your favorite color.

Of course it you do do this with other than the approved stuff and paperwork you WILL be a test pilot for flight.

I'm not sure sealing the gap will lower the stall speed as much as the added control gives the pilot confidence to explore deeper into a stall.

If I didn't have vortex generators which accomplish this already I might be looking for $105 to spend. :D :D

HA

Post by HA »

Craig, does the aileron gap seal tape seal the gap at the top of the wing or the bottom? how close does it come to the aileron?

there are good pix of flap gap seals on the Knots2U website, but I can't find pix of aileron seals anywhere.

along with the roll improvements at slow speeds, I'd be interested in knowing if the seals actually help climb rates any. I think a little inflight testing is in order :wink:

Hans
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

The tape goes on the underside of the aileron, sticky side up. It attaches to the wing just like a hinge would. You have to cut the tapes to the appropriate lengths and install around the hinges.

It will be almost impossible for me to do any detailed flight testing, since I don't have the BEFORE numbers recorded. As stated before, most gains (if any) other than aileron feel are minimal.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

?????? What happens when it rains or snows wet snow then freezes????? Will it be trapped in the joint?????