alternator STC

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

kestrick

alternator STC

Post by kestrick »

I own a 170B with a 165hp Franklin engine. I am looking for an alternator and/or an STC for the alternator. My generator does not keep up with what I need the aircraft to do. Any information on who, what and where would be most appreciated. Thanks.
mike roe

Franklin Alternator

Post by mike roe »

At one time a fellow in Florida had a setup with STC to go on Stinsons.I think his name is Stan Bedford.You might try the Stinson Club website.It was a nice setup because he had a pad on the back of the alternator for a vac.pump.If you cant locate him PM me and I will give you a phone # for a Stinson person who will know.Hope this helps.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The STC for an Alternator with a piggy-back vacuum pump (which is also approved for the Cessna, both Continental and Franklin powered airplanes) is owned by Universal Tow-All. The last contact info I had for them was:
Universal Tow-All
3719 Commercial Way
Springhill, FL 34606

ph: 352-666-2929
fax: 352-666-2927

An alternate address is:
3312 Mustang Dr.
Brooksville, FL 34609

This mod consists of a 45 Amp alternator with a vacuum pad on it's rear for an Airborne 211CC pump. It's an interesting idea. (I also imagine it's a challenging situation the day the alternator drive fails, and all gyro systems, both the vacuum and the electric gyros are in a failure mode as well. Battery power alone will be running any electric systems.)

Another possible source for an alternator-only conversion:
Jasco/Skytronics
800-421-6846 (US) or in Calif: 800-872-1101.

It might be helpful to remember that generators/alternators main job is to support constant electrical loads, usually providing about 80% of total electrical demand. If your total electrical loads (everything on except the taxi/landing lights) is only 20% greater than your gen/alt's capability, then you're likely OK. It's not necessary in most cases to keep the battery charged up while taxi/lndg lites are on. The gen/alt will catch up and recharge the battery during the time that the taxi/lndg lites are extringuished.
The most common complaint is during long taxies at night, and while enduring long "hold short" periods at night. If you leave your taxi/lndg lites ON the entire time during such periods you might suffer a slightly low battery voltage after a period of time,...depending upon whether or not you are also attempting to broadcast/transmit on the radio under such conditions. Usually all that is necessary is to increase RPM to allow the gen/alt to raise the voltage back up,...or to switch off the taxi and/or lndg. lite(s).
If operating a VFR airplane, and this was my only problem....I'd seriously consider upgrading to the 35 Amp generator,...as it's considerably less expensive than an alternator conversion. (Probably in the $200-$400 range, possibly even less.)
When these airplanes were under current production, the radios available were high-draw vacuum tube units. Modern solid state radios draw much less power than those originally available. It's very unusual, when using modern radios, for it to be possible to exceed the capability of the original generator systems.
While alternators are lightweight and capable of producing more ampereage... they are also incapable of sustaining voltage fluctuations and/or polarity reversals without expensive damage. Additionally, a discharged battery cannot be re-charged by an alternator merely by propping the airplane, unlike generator systems which will do just fine. If you leave your master sw. on, with an alternator, you'll need to either remove the battery for recharge, or you'll need to risk a "jump" from another vehicle, and the attendant damage that can cause.
(Does it sound as if I'm a fan of generators?) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
kestrick

Post by kestrick »

Gahorn,
I have managed to track an alternator down with an STC. It is apparently in new condition. It has been put together by a fellow in Florida named Stan Bedford. During the operation of my aircraft it experiences multiple starts and short flight times. This results in insufficient time to recharge my battery. Unfortunately, when my battery tends to give up the ghost I am in the bush and by myself. The alternator with undoubtedly be very well suited to my situation. Thanks.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

kestrick wrote:Gahorn,
I have managed to track an alternator down with an STC. It is apparently in new condition. It has been put together by a fellow in Florida named Stan Bedford. During the operation of my aircraft it experiences multiple starts and short flight times. This results in insufficient time to recharge my battery. Unfortunately, when my battery tends to give up the ghost I am in the bush and by myself. The alternator with undoubtedly be very well suited to my situation. Thanks.
Stan Bedford is the name associated with Universal Tow All.
You are in the best position to decide the course you should take.
As for me, if in the bush, I'd still prefer an adequate generator because of it's ability to charge a dead battery when no other solution might be available. The alternator will leave you stranded in such situations.
The alternator shown in Universal/Mr. Bedford's paperwork (TIC170A has a complete set/description of his STC...if you're a Member you can get a copy from headquarters) does not appear familiar. I do not know what availability of spare parts might be in remote regions. It might be a good question to ask him, if you can locate him. (By your last comment, it appears that you might be purchasing a unit second-hand or from someone other than a regular provider. I do not know what kind of support you might find with this unit.)
Good luck and keep us posted!
Last edited by GAHorn on Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You may also want to talk to Bruce Kown of Classic Aire, Inc in Cartersville, GA. He is a TIC170A member, owns a Franklin 220 powered 170A and specializes in custom Franklin engines and accessories.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com