How many of you guys are former/current R/C modellers?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Vic I know what you mean. I'm already mentally designing a "foamy".

Yes I recognize these planes are full blown RC with all the inherent dangers.

Unfortunitly by the way I've seen them flown at my airport and stories I've been told they are NOT given the respect they deserve.

I'm trying to educate these "Wanna Be" RC pilots that yes indeed that foamy has the capability to damage that $270,000 Cessna they are flying around and over. An yes indeed that prop WILL remove a finger or worse.

Insurance :?: They never thought of it. :x
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lcranton

Post by lcranton »

Matt, It is a small world! I too worked at Gordons Hobby Lobby. I think it was between about 1969 thru 1972 or so. A couple of years ago I was working a project with another aerospace company out of Tucson and worked with a guy who's place I took at GHL when he left GHL to join the Air Force. Gordon and his wife where great people. When did you work there? Do you remember a Mr Cook? Towards the end of working at GHL I was able to save enough money and with a partner buy my first full scale aircraft, a 1941 BL55 Taylorcraft. It had been re-engined with a C75. We tied it down at the old Glendale airport. Great fun!
4-Shipp

RC vs Full scale: why not do both at the same time?

Post by 4-Shipp »

From 1994-1996 I had the privelage of being a safety pilot for the 82 Aerial Target Squadron at Holloman AFB in NM. My primary job was to sit in an F-106 with my hands in my lap while some old crusty retired fighter pilot did touch and go's with my airplane from the top of a truck! Needless to say there were a few exiting moments. Don't know how to add a picture but here is a link.

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/drones.htm

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B