Bartone Exhaust

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mike roe

Bartone Exhaust

Post by mike roe »

Trying to find info and contact # on the Bartone exhaust mod.The email address in the club directory is not working.Any suggestions.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Mike,

If the phone # in the directory doesn't work, call Velvet at HQ. She may have more up to date info.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

To those interested in Ceramic Coating Bartones or Benhams', here's an email I received today from http://www.hpcoatings.com/processing_form.htm

David,
To coat your extensions would cost, $45.00 each, HiPerCoat polished aluminum, inside and outside coating.
Note: this material is conductive if needed for proper grounding during fueling.
Last edited by AR Dave on Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

Miles
I called the # in the directory and got Pats voice mail.I left a message with my # and email address.Thanks for your help.
Dave-if it will help get the exhausts I will tell my life history.
N2229D

Bartone Exhaust

Post by N2229D »

Hi all, before I try to chase down the availability of the Bartone exhaust what was the final word on the subject? Can we still get the pipes and stc, just the parts or nothing? I hate to bother Pat if this has already been looked into.
Thanks, Terry.
mike roe

Bartone Pipes

Post by mike roe »

I have talked to both Pat Bartone and John Benham on this subject in the past 2-3 week frame.Both individuals are very nice and helpful.Pat at this time does not have a STC and with his you have to get a field approval,which he will supply copies of others,which might be in your area.John has a STC for his pipes and the price will reflect it.I decided to go with Johns,it comes with a bracket that mounts across the lower tube mounts.He does not mention it in the STC but I might move the gascolator inboard,I will have to see how close it is when I install the pipes.Both phone numbers are in the directory.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Just to clarify, John is now providing the STC? I thought he would sell you the pipes but would not provide the STC because of liability concerns. That is great news if he has changed his mind.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
mike roe

Post by mike roe »

Johns came with the STC.I purchased the pipes about 3 weeks ago.Everything seems ok.
53B

Post by 53B »

Hello Mike,

I was wondering if you could tell me if the STC mentions anything about installing the pipes on 172's.
I have talked to John D. Benham and he says that they'll fit the early 172's but I couldn't get a good answer about whether they were included in the approved model list.

Thanks!
Happy Flying,

Mark
1958 Cessna 172 N9153B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

53B, I can't answer with certainty but I'll bet the STC only covers the Cessna 170. John D. would likely have used them on a 170 to obtain the STC, and since STC's are specific (they ARE called Supplemental TYPE Certificates, after all....) they probably only apply to the 170 TYPE.
You're smart to find out before you buy them. If you get them and they aren't legal, you'll have to find a way to either get them installed legally (field approval, etc.) or you'll have to unload them somewhere.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

Can someone tell me, do mine look like Bartone or Benham?
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Corey it's to tuff to tell from your picture to me with the knowledge I have of the differences between the two. A closer picture may help.

What I understand they are very similar with the major difference being the way the pipes are suspended at the rear. From a description given me by John Benham, his hang down from a cross brace that is suspended from the bottom two engine mount down tubes and Bartone's are suspended by hangers attached to the fire wall.

I may be way off base here and plan to make a study of the differences next time I'm at a large gathering of 170s with each kind.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Corey,

Here is a picture of Pat Bartone's pipes on my airplane. As Bruce says my Bartones are mounted with a hangar from the fire wall. It also appears that the last bend in the Bartone pipes is closer to the end of the pipe, ie less straight pipe after the bend.

We have so far 2 inchs of new snow, no flying today here in Chicago.

Last edited by johneeb on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

mike roe wrote:Johns came with the STC.I purchased the pipes about 3 weeks ago.Everything seems ok.
I must have Benham's since mine are attached to a bar across the engine mount via spring loaded U-bolts and the bend in my pipes are further up the pipe.

So Mike, are you saying John has STC's available?
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

How they're mounted isn't the method for determining what pipes they are. My Bartones also hang from a cross bar which is across the engine mount frame. But I almost hung them from the firewall. Debated on rubber tire material or exhaust pipe brackets, etc. etc.. Made my decision from talking to the folks that have them. Some mounted them one way then changed to another way. These different methods are in my copies of their Field Approvals.

If you walk up to a plane with Benhams the pipes stick out (at an angle) straight back. If you walk up to the Bartones, they stick out at the same angle, but have a little stylish curve at the tail end.