Reds Horse Ranch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Miles,

Took a second look at possible routes; Livermore - Yerington - Nampa - Red's would work also - time enroute pretty much the same - maybe join up in Yerington?
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Robert Eilers wrote:Miles,

Took a second look at possible routes; Livermore - Yerington - Nampa - Red's would work also - time enroute pretty much the same - maybe join up in Yerington?
That's pretty much what I had in mind. About 3 hrs from Tehachapi to Yerington, and another 3 or so to Nampa. About another 1.5 to Enterprise. A good day's ride. Head up Thursday June 15 and back Sunday June18?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
N1277D

Mountain Flying

Post by N1277D »

A good book on mountain flying is the one by Sparky Imerson. It has a lot of good ideas for flying in the Idaho/Oregon backcountry.

One used around here by most, is it is always better to be on the ground by lunch. A long days flight that gets you into the mountains in late afternoon can cause problems, I've seen 185s with long props get into trouble in mid afternoon.
sea1dww

Post by sea1dww »

I'm in Seattle (S50 Auburn) and I would enjoy joining everyone at Reds. I've had my '54B for a month now and its time to get out and start meeting good people with similar interests. Reds' Horse ranch sounds like a beautiful destination with some great flying and scenic opportunities.

Dave
Abe

Post by Abe »

Dave, I think those coming to Red's will truely enjoy the setting and we hope to see you there...but as I hope I've gotten accross to everyone in my past posts regarding Red's, it's a backcountry strip that takes the appropriate skills and knowledge of mountain flying. I'm saying this as I don't know your skill level in flying a 170 or flying in the mountains.

As my FAA checkride instructor, Casey Jones, told me back in 1975, "just a word of advice Bill, don't fly in the mountains past 10 AM unless you absolutely have to"...Casey was an gentleman who had flown in the backcountry of Idaho for many years and lived to pass on that sage advice. Unfortunately, the effects of making good decisions are not as apparent to us at the time, but you sure as hell know the effects of one bad decision real quick...

Do your homework on Red's and Minam Lodge Strips and PM me for any info you may need (including photos) and I also hope to enjoy the company of many of you there....
Bill
'52 170B
cessna170bdriver

Abe wrote:...I hope I've gotten accross to everyone in my past posts regarding Red's, it's a backcountry strip that takes the appropriate skills and knowledge of mountain flying. I'm saying this as I don't know your skill level in flying a 170 or flying in the mountains.
Bill,

How does getting into Red's or Minam's compare to Johnson Creek as far as skill required?

Also, if you have any not-too-large photos you'd like for me to post here, email them to me and I'll put them up.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
Abe

Post by Abe »

Miles,
I've only been to Johnson Creek via their webcam, so I can't compare the two strips...I'll email you you a few photos that might give you a better idea rather than me trying to describle it....I'll be going into Red's in a few days and hopefully the USFS will have their RAWS portable weather station set up shortly....when they get it up, I'll post the web site....I just had two cylinders replaced and I want to get some hours on them before I venture two far from a "landing spot".
Bill
'52 170B
sea1dww

Post by sea1dww »

Bill

I do have a lot to learn about mountain flying. I have the Sparky Imeson bible and I've been doing my homework. I've put 74 hours on the 170 since April 1 and I'm trying to get as much off pavement practice as I can.

I really like the flight characteristics of the 170 and the ability to carry camping gear and companions with me. I'm having a lot of work done to 46C as the previous owner was less than honest about its condition. I am making sure that it is completely sound and in good repair before I attempt Red's. If I can't make it to Red's, I'll definately be in Kelowna.

Dave
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

Reds is about 75 nautical from here, and would you believe we have never been there yet. We will try to make the fly-in weather conditions permitting.
Abe

Post by Abe »

N1277D,
Glad to hear that you might make it to Red's, it is amazing how things so close to us are usually the least used by us...I think that after we get this first fly-in off the ground, we may have to consider making it an annual event....Thanks for your interest....We'll keep our fingers crossed for good weather....
Bill
'52 170B
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

The key to baqck country flyins is to figure out how much beer you think you'll drink, multiply it by three (don't worry, It'll be gone gone by departure time) pack light, enough fuel to make it to the nearest fuel stop to head home, plan on leaving early while it's cold and calm, and I'll fill you in with the rest of the details around the fire. ( don't forget the whisky)

Joe
N1277D

Reds

Post by N1277D »

You also need lots of tall tales to go with the beer, whiskey and camp fire. A good one to share with your cousins are bear stories. You get them worried about the bears and then they ask how do you get away from one, not being one to carry a firearm. You smile tie your shoes and say I don't need to out run the bear, just you, ouch. It works almost every time. (':roll:') The wild cat/cougar stories are even better. Or the story about how two moose were eyeing each heads down other with a supercub in the middle seperating them.

Reds should be fun and we look forward to being there weather permitting. We are also trying to organize a flyin at Johnson Creek just after the Convention. We are also having a flyin at 0U9 on June 24. EAA will be providing Young Eagle flights and the Lions are providing breakfast. There also might be some short helicopter rides. We finally have our strip open 17ID, the soft turf has finally curied, the mud and snow have gone (':D')
cessna170bdriver

I see that on June 18, the Idaho Aviation Association is having a fly-in breakfast at Garden Valley http://www.airnav.com/airport/U88 about a half hour northeast of Boise on June 18. May be able to catch the tail end of it if we get out of Red's early enough. 8)

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

Our strip 17ID is located 2/3rds of the way between Reds and Garden Valley. You most likley will fly right over our place on the way. Garden Valley is a nice strip and easy to get into. The approach is down into a wide valley with the airport in the narrows along the Payette River. The best approach in is to the east. Descend down in the valley to about 500 agl about 1 to 2 miles out and flow the river upriver to the airport. They have a number of people attend so traffic needs to be watched for.

Warm Springs Creek airport is further east on a bench above the river near Lowman and also has a campground on the airport and hot springs about a mile from the airport. The strip is a little more challeging than Garden Valley in that it is one way for a 170 on short final.

Not to far from Garden Valley are Idaho City and McCall where one can land and walk into town. McCall is more of a weekend resort town, Idaho City is more laid back.
cessna170bdriver

N1277D wrote: Our strip 17ID is located 2/3rds of the way between Reds and Garden Valley. You most likley will fly right over our place on the way.
Is that an invitation? :lol:
N1277D wrote: Not to far from Garden Valley are Idaho City and McCall where one can land and walk into town. McCall is more of a weekend resort town, Idaho City is more laid back.
We landed in McCall for fuel and breakfast on our way out of Johnson Creek on Labor Day morning '03. It was fairly laid back other than the pancake place that was recommended to us. It had folks lined up out the door and around the block. 8O We found a decent cafe a few blocks farther north. We'll give Idaho City a try sometime.

Miles
Miles

— Thomas Browne