Reds Horse Ranch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pif_sonic

Re: Red's Horse Ranch Fly in

Post by pif_sonic »

Abe wrote: is on his way to getting it tamed....
Well I guess that is one way to put it. All in all learning to fly (or land) the 170 has been a great experience. Other than my instructor, he would be the one who has the white knuckles and slightly pale face, it has been a lot of fun. 8O 8O 8O 8O It was nice to meet with Bill. Thanks for the coffee and cinnamon roll!!!!!! My wife and I will fly to Enterprise (After I learn to land the 170) and buy lunch.

I hope we can get a few 170’s to Red’s this summer. Anybody who has not flown into northeastern Oregon, you are missing some great flying.

Wayne
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without a rebellion. ***Thomas Jefferson***
Abe

Red's Horse Ranch Fly in

Post by Abe »

Well, I've done my homework and just wanted to get back to those who might be interested in coming to Red's Horse Ranch/Minam Lodge for a 170 Fly-in this summer...

I talked to Shawn Steen, who is the new outfitter at Minam Lodge, and he says that we're early and he has a good number of dates available, but the sooner we firm this up the better....he says that he can feed one person, 3-meals a day for $40...he has a limited number of cabins available or you can pitch your own tent, but each one of us can make our own lodging araingments....and I still can't find anyone who knows about the dancing girls...still checking though...I'm wondering if I don't know the whole story... :?: :lol:

They have a nice brochure and if you want one PM me or call or email Shawn (541-432-6545) on their web site (http://www.minamlodge.com) and we'll mail you one....

Now, I'll find out who are the association's Oregon directors and get them involved and try to get a date set here shortly.....
Bill
'52 170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

If the dancing girls aren't at Reds Horse Ranch in Oregon, maybe they all moved down to Petit Jean in Arkansas. Boy, thats a heck of a long trip from Rancho Cordova, CA!
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Whatsa matter blu elder? You don't think that PepBoys oil can last that far? :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,

The Pep Boys oil is ok but crossing west Texas or the panhandle all they sell is wellhead drip gas and even I, as frugal as I am, hate to use that stinky stuff.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

As a 5 or 6 year-old kid I remember going to the oil fields near Smackover, AR with my mother's half-brother who would blow off the condensate from the well head and then drain the condensate into gas cans. His 54 Ford had the timing retarded to run on the stuff. He said he had approval from Lion Oil Co. to take the condensate, but I wonder why we were out there only at night? 8O
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Abe

Post by Abe »

I apologize for not getting back sooner on our Fly-in to Reds Horse Ranch/Minam Lodge, but life has been hectic here in NE Oregon....anyway, enough excuses....

I've been conversing with the Steen's at Minam Lodge and they are very willing to let us stage the 1st Red's Horse Ranch/Minam Lodge 170 Fly-in at their facility....I've found out that there is no good weedend because there is always something else going on somewhere that time of year, so the dates of this fly-in will be June 16 - 17 (Fri - Sat).

Shawn and Shelly Steen at Minam Lodge are willing to give those attending this Fly-in a discount if we get a minimum of 10-attendees. When you call or email them for information, be sure and mention that you are coming in for the 170 Fly-in. They offer, camping, lodging, food and a bunch of good hospitality. Here is their web site, email address and phone number:
http://www.minamriverlodge.com
steens@oregontrail.net
541-432-6545

There are two strips within a short 1/4 of one another here....Red's Horse Ranch (USFS) and Minam Lodge (Private) both sit in the bottom of the Minam River canyon at 2000' plus elevation. They both are grass strips of 2000' plus feet in length. These strips are on the Seattle sectional. If you have any questions regarding these strips please call me or I'm sure you can call Shawn also. The USFS usually sets up a portable weather station at Minam Lodge that is accessable on the computer...when they get it up and running I will post the web site. I would highly recommend early morning or late evening arrivals and departures at these strips.

If those of you who wanted to come in early, we could stage at Enterprise and then fly in as a group....(I have room for one airplane in my hanger at 8S4 if you come in early) Minam Lodge/Red's Horse Ranch is a short 20-minute flight from either Joseph State (4S3) or Enterprise (8S4).

I'm sure I've forgotten something, so PM or call me if you have any ???.

Oh, one more thing...Joe, we've put you in charge of entertainment during this Fly-in...Thanks in advance.... :lol:
Bill
'52 170B
jims170

Post by jims170 »

http://www.questaircraft.com/usp4.htm

Here is a link with photos and landing info for Red Horse Ranch.

That was Kelly's 107B in the photo.

Jim
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Entertainment handled...I'll except my duty with honor.

Joe
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

jims170 wrote:http://www.questaircraft.com/usp4.htm

Here is a link with photos and landing info for Red Horse Ranch.

That was Kelly's 107B in the photo.

Jim
Looks beautiful...even for an Alaskan! And the scenery too :lol:
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
Abe

Post by Abe »

That's a great picture of Red's Jim. On your approach to Red's you fly over Minam Lodge's strip which is just down river a very short distance on the photos left. If anyone would like, I can email you several photos of the strip at Red's, just PM me and I'll get em to you.
Bill
'52 170B
Glynn

Red Horse Ranch Fly In

Post by Glynn »

I am also keen on the idea of a trip to Red Horse. I'll watch the posts for updates & details and how many might attend.

Maybe some of us from the central CA area (I'm in Salinas) could hook up and fly together.

Glynn.
You Know It's 2006 When You Have 12 Phone Numbers To Reach Your Family Of 3
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I would also like to make the trip to Red's Horse Ranch. I am flying to Kelowna in July - but, make be able to pull off a trip to Red's if we can get a good group together.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Glynn and Robert

Karen has TENTATIVELY given me a kitchen pass for this trip. She would go too, but that Friday is the last day of her school year (she's a teacher). I should have my overhauled engine broken in and some "confidence time" on it by then.

I would love to be part of a "California Contingent". How would you guys go from where you are? When I went up to Johnson Creek from Tehachapi a few years ago, I stopped at Yerington, NV and Nampa, ID on the way. Airnav fuel prices were $3.49 in Yerington as of April 4, and $3.56, guaranteed, in Nampa as of today.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

Miles,

I will be departing from LVK, just inland from Oakland. Best route for me looks like LVK -Redding - Klamath Falls - Redmond - Reds Horse Ranch. Adds about 30 mins, but keeps me from hanging my important parts over long stretchs of desert and wilderness areas. Total of about 6 hours - day trip with good weather. However, might plan to overnight in Redmond so I can arrange and early morning arrival at Red's. There was a time, when I was younger, I did'nt concern myself a great deal about the terrain I was flying over. Then, about two years ago, while enjoying a solo flight in my Champ - no flt plan- down a beautiful river canyon, sharing airspace with eagles - it struck me - if the engine fails here and I survive the forced landing, it would take weeks for them to find me - and by that time I would be nothing more than a smoking pile of Bear &%$#!