Reds Horse Ranch

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Hey Bill,

Is Red's Horse ranch still open? I used to alwaws stop at Enterprise on my trips to Idaho. Even took the tram up the mountain a couple of times. Do they still have the old Chrysler or was it a Plymouth loaner car?

Joe
Abe

Post by Abe »

Yes Red's is still open to the public, the USFS has had it for at least the last 6-8 years. I spent allot of last fall going in and out of Red's and it's a great place to visit....

It would be to wet, if not snowy to go in there now...but we're loosing it fast now....I think we ought to put together a 170 fly-in for Red's this year???....There are volunteers in at Red's from late April and thru elk season (mid November) and the place is in good shape...

It's been awhile since you've been to 8S4 (Enterprise) cause we've got a bright blue Chev Impala (won't tell you what year) for the courtesy car now....PM me if you need any other info.
Bill
'52 170B
pif_sonic

Post by pif_sonic »

Bill,

Do you run the airport there at Enterprise? I flew there a few months ago in a 150. I dropped off a friend of mine that used to work there in Enterprise at the PD. I think you helped me fix a low tire. Not sure if it was you or not.

I think a Fly-In at Red's would be a great idea. There are three 170's at Baker that would be willing to go there and two more in Halfway that might want to go. If this is someting you want to arange, let me know and I will do what I can from my end.

Wayne
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without a rebellion. ***Thomas Jefferson***
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I've never been to Reds Horse Ranch, but I've seen it on the charts and heard about it from other guys. If you fellas plan a fly in there, keep us posted here on the Pilot Lounge. I'm down here in the Sacramento, CA, area and would like to give it a shot. I've heard they have some really classy dancing girls there!
BL
Abe

Post by Abe »

Sounds like we need to start planning a fly-in to Red's Horse Ranch for 2006....I see on the charts that they list Red's as a private strip, but it does belong to the USFS....there is a private strip a short 1/2 mile down river at the Minam Lodge....So beware....Minam Lodge does offer up good breakfasts to the public....Wayne, I'll start some planning and will keep in touch with you via PM....and when we formulate this we'll put it out in the Forum....and no I don't run the airport, but I do have some hangers and a small business there in my hanger....

The Maule fellows have had at least two fly-ins there over the last couple of years....I'll get ahold of them to see what their dates are....

Thanks for the interest from Sacramento....You'd love Red's....I've been going in there now for 30-years via horse, foot and airplane and I've never run accross any dancing girls in there....but I'll keep you posted if I do...
Bill
'52 170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Damn! I was sure there were dancing girls at Reds Horse Ranch. Oh well, I'd like to go there anyway. Some of the guys I've met up at Johnson Creek speak highly of it.
BL
sphillips

Red's Horse Ranch

Post by sphillips »

Where the heck is Red's Horse
ranch
pif_sonic

Post by pif_sonic »

Try this web site. This may give you a good idea where it is. It would not be a bad flight at all from Driggs ID.

http://www.minamlodgeoutfitters.com/gettinghere.html

Wayne
God forbid we should ever be twenty years without a rebellion. ***Thomas Jefferson***
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

blueldr wrote:Damn! I was sure there were dancing girls at Reds Horse Ranch. Oh well, I'd like to go there anyway. Some of the guys I've met up at Johnson Creek speak highly of it.
Dick, the word "horse" is singular. It's an animal. The other word which led you to conjure up thoughts of dancing and may sound somewhat similar is plural. It's not that kind of ranch. (But with any luck might also work out to be "animal".) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I would be interested as well, and I've been hoping I can work a trip in to Minam this summer anyway.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George, you have an evil mind. There are a lot of those other ranches in Nevada, but I dont think Oregon will put up with that sort of thing. They're kinda weird up there.
Are you guys really sure there are no dancing girls there?
BL
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I think there are some sheep ranches in Oregon tho...

Joe
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Joe Moilanen wrote:I think there are some sheep ranches in Oregon tho...

Joe
Joe, are you the Cessna 170 Pilot who is famous for wearing a Kilt? :lol:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

No, after I kilt them I usually bury them... or just leave them to rot if it's a high density altitude strip and I'm in a hurry to get out before it warms up...

Joe
Abe

Red's Horse Ranch Fly in

Post by Abe »

An update on the proposed Red's Fly-in....Got to fly to Baker City this morning and meet with Wayne (pif_sonic) regarding our efforts to put Red's on the calender during 2006...He has a nice 170 and is on his way to getting it tamed....

I talked to the Maule folks and they are going to Johnson Creek for their 2006 Fly-in so no conflict there....Heard there might be a Cub fly in at Minam Lodge this summer, but don't know when....If anyone knows let me know....I'm thinking of a potential time period of late June or early July...

There are new folks who have taken over Minam Lodge this year...they are only new to Minam, but have been in the outfitting business for a long time and do a great job, Shaun & Shelly Steen of Joseph, OR....They have food and lodging (from a cabin to wall tents & tepees for rent) and I know they put out great food from being in their camps in the Snake River country....anyway I'll contact Shaun & Shelly and let them know about our thoughts of a fly in and see if they could accomadate us.....and yes, I'll ask them about those dancing girls that are interwolven into these threads :lol:

With Minam Lodge so close, it would give us a choice of camping out at Red's Horse Ranch or getting spoiled at Minam Logde....nice choice...
Remember that it's a short 10-minute walk between the two strips....If you're interested could you give me an idea of how many of you all that would be interested in staying at Minam Lodge (take a look at the Minam Lodge web site listed earlier by pif_sonic)...Let me know via a PM...I just need an approximated number of potential participants for when I talk to Shaun & Shelly....Thanks
Bill
'52 170B