Rainy West

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Rainy West

Post by johneeb »

Have any of our brother and sister members been hurt by the excessive rain along the west coast?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

They just observed the first anniversary of the big mud slide at La Conchita.

I'm not sure about further north, but here at 35 degrees latitude, we're in a lot better shape than we were this time last year. We've had our share of rain (I was one of the lucky few who sat along Colorado Blvd in Pasadena and watched the first rainy Rose Parade in 50 years :evil: ), but we've had enough dry periods in between that the ground isn't over saturated. I had thought about moving my airplane up to Tehachapi from Mojave, but we're expecting about 3 inches of snow tomorrow.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Other than a lack of decent flying weather things seem generally OK around here. 3+ weeks of everyday rain is having it's effect: the ground is saturated, a few roads have washed out, trees are blowing over root wad and all (been windy too!). It's been warm so no snow down low, but the ski resorts are having a good snow year-- that's great, since last year was a bust.
I think there's gonna be a lot of rutted and otherwise damaged grass strips around here if they get used anytime soon, as the ground is really soft- even ground that is normally pretty dry due to good drainage. One friend's 900' farm strip looks like a Viet Nam rice paddy!

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Hey Eric
did you know when it rains up there it's dry down here and vice versa? Just talked to my buddy in Bellingham he says the prior record was 22 days and now they've got 27. So we have a slight chance of rain Sunday so maybe you'll get some good weather :)
dave
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Miles, is you engine overhaul finished?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

johneeb wrote:Miles, is you engine overhaul finished?
John,

I'm STILL waiting on parts from Premium Aircraft that I ordered a full MONTH ago! Premium says all parts that are late are being drop shipped from Continental. Of course it is parts that I need to get started. :evil:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Kim Purcell

Post by Kim Purcell »

We lost the primary of our two paved roads into the community for at least a couple of months and the other keeps having slides on it. The runway is in good shape so some of us are talking about relocating a car to the Placerville airport so we can make a 5 minute flight to town rather then the 45 minute drive. It has also helped with airport PR since its value to the community has become more obvious
Kim :) :)
Kim
170A