Independent rancher

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Kyle Wolfe

Independent rancher

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Received this e-mail message from a friend of ours. He's a retired Northwest captain who ferrys American Champions for our local FBO as well as does tailwheel training. It brought a smile to my face - and thought you might enjoy it too.

Kyle

Fellow aviators:

As many of you know I have become a world renowned ferry (that's FERRY) pilot delivering Citabrias as far away as Wisconsin. I branched out today. I delivered a shiny new HIGH COUNTRY EXPLORER to South Dakota. The buyer runs a 60,000 acre cattle ranch 190 miles west of XXX and was trading in a 2003 Explorer which he bought new in 03. I think you might have a better understand of why ferry pilots make so much money when I relate this true tale.

The new plane was well equipped but did not have a transponder. He is after all, in the middle of NOWHERE and never goes anywhere outside the ranch. You are probably wondering how the older plane was equipped. Well it had a radio............
AM/FM with tape player bought at Walmart. It had 2 really nice Walmart speakers clamped to the overhead tubes and it worked pretty darn good with a coat hangar antenna on top. The plane had about 15-20 pounds of mud mixed with cow poo stuck all over the struts, tail feathers and bottom of the wings. It was nice and dry! Probably cost 10 MPH in cruise speed. There was about 5 pounds of gravel and sand all over the floor. Did I mention that this mixed cow poo still had some "body" to it ................if you know what I mean. In fact Linda (wife) elected to burn my clothes when I got home. Not enough soap in the house to remove the smell. Not to worry, I'm on the expense account and they will be replaced.

The seller handed my the pouch with the manuals and log books. I asked him if everything was current and up to date, including the annual inspection. He looked me right in the eye and said "annual inspection? The sucker is only 3 years old with 358 hours on her".

The tops of both wings were seriously stained with red fuel streaks. Car gas do ya think? I asked if the car gas STC was in the pouch. He looked me in the eye again and said "STC?"

The windshield was totally clean and clear so apparently he likes to see where he is going. Didn't like shoulder harnesses so he took 'em out.......but he did save them !

Both planes had the split entry door like a Cub. Seems he likes to fly REAL low around the reservation and shoot Coyotes. This pisses off the Indians for some reason and they call the FAA. No problem, just take off the N number tape and toss it. Solved that problem, no number, no FAA! Not a mark on that sucker anywhere on the outside. No Champion logo, no numbers, nothing, just red/mud color with a gold stripe.

The sucker ran like a million bucks and flew straight as an arrow.

Used Citabria anyone?
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
HA

Post by HA »

ahh, reminds me of the good old days in SW ND. first thing you do at quad-annual time is clean all the shotgun shells out from under the floor, sometimes they bind things up like controls.

I have a friend who might be the only person ever to gear up a Cub twice, he would land places I wouldn't take an ATV. solved that problem with a length of chain from one wheel to the other, much stronger now.

also some pretty inventive guys out there, like the one who wrapped his stick with carpet and duct tape so he can fly with his knees while he guns coyotes - saves having to hire a gunner.

come to think of it, my plane does still have all the wiring and antenna for the CB radio. who am I to talk, I guess :D

Hans
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Great story. It is amazing how people in this country can survive without help from Uncle Sam. I bet there is more of that goes on then you could ever believe. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
170C

Citabra Story

Post by 170C »

Great story Kyle. Sounds like some West Texas folks I have known. Looking forward to seeing you and Becky at Petit Jean.

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018