Ski rigging

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Ski rigging

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

This is slightly of topic for a 170 but still could apply. I just purchased a set of Federal SC-1 skis for my Cub. I need to replace the bungees.

Can you ski flyers tell me where to get the bungee material I need? Can I just buy a bungee cord for a J-3 and us it.

Of course all members near me in eastern PA take note. I've just about guaranteed a snow free winter with this purchase. At least after I find new bungees. :D
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Maineboy

Post by Maineboy »

Bruce,
Wag Aero sells everything you need. page 26 in their nov 05 catalog.
Good luck
Brian
'56 170B N3532D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Thanks Brian. I never noticed that stuff before. This forum is GREAT.

Now it will never snow in PA. :evil:

jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Bruce,

Besides Wag, you could call Aero Ski Mfg. Co in Brooten, MN -- 320-346-2285. They manufacture their own line of skis, and they also supply anything you need for Federals. I have a set of Federal 1500s with new (wider, with plastic) bottoms that came from Aero Ski. I'm about to put them on my J3 and experience ski flying for the first time. Maybe we can compare notes. Here's hoping for snow!!!! :D

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Bruce I knew sooner or later you could do us some good here in SE PA. Maybe I should buy a set for my 170 and we could have a snow free winter for sure. I was really tempted by the set on this site till I mentioned it to the better half and she just could not understand the "need". Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I saw a skiplane on mud-flats once. Hope you don't end up regretting it,
Bruce. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

3958v wrote:Bruce I knew sooner or later you could do us some good here in SE PA. Maybe I should buy a set for my 170 and we could have a snow free winter for sure.
Last year the skiplane season in the Twin Cities lasted about two weeks in January.
This year is starting out better: we had a few inches of snow Friday in eastern Minnesota. A friend of mine with a 170 on wheel skis landed on skis at three different airports in the Twin Cities area last Saturday. Monday it rained and everything melted, then Tuesday morning we got another white coating.
I have wheel skis for the 170 that I've been too scared to install so far. I'll get some ski time on the J3 first, then see if I want to try it with the 170. By that time, I may have the J3 on floats! 8)

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
pdb

Re: Ski rigging

Post by pdb »

N9149A wrote:This is slightly of topic for a 170 but still could apply. I just purchased a set of Federal SC-1 skis for my Cub. I need to replace the bungees.

Can you ski flyers tell me where to get the bungee material I need? Can I just buy a bungee cord for a J-3 and us it.
:D
Bungees are Ok but many Alaska pilots prefer springs instead. Call Steve at Atlee Dodge or Bill at Stoddard's for advice.

http://www.stoddardairparts.com/

http://www.fadodge.com/index.html
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
N419A

Post by N419A »

I second the Atlee springs he also make a nice ski attach bracket set.
spiro

Post by spiro »

yes springs are better than bungees. However, many skis were only certified w/ bungees and Atlee's springs are only FAA-approved on cubs. Putting ski springs on a Cessna used to be a no-brainer field approval (like bigger gear and axles) but it's hard to get a new installation approved these days.
Bruce Fenstermacher

John I think you have a much better chance of actually being able to use your skis in Minnesota than I do in south eastern Pennsylvania. I'm expecting the ski season to last at best 1 or 2 days. And then only if your at an airport that doesn't plow their snow and there is few of those in this area.

I didn't actually intend to buy the skis but became high bidder by accident because of a lack of understanding of the relationship between the reserve bid and proxy bidding an gahorn's favorite auction site. (EBAY)

I simply was curious what the reserve bid was and I guessed it exactly which meant I became the high bidder. There was no more bids and I won. :roll:

I'm not upset about the purchase as I always wanted a set of skis and I think I got them at a good price no matter how impractical they are to actually use in my area.

Since the likely hood of me actually using the skis more that 2 or 3 days in the next 5 years I think the stock bungee setup will work just fine in my case. An now thanks to this site, I now know where to buy more stuff I probably will never use. 8O

I do appreciate all the responses for a Cub question on a Cessna site but I'm sure some of this info can relate the 170.

And yes Bill K. you should by a set of skis for your 170 and absolutely guarantee no snow in PA for the foreseeable future. :D

When I told my wife we where the proud owners of a set of skis she didn't understand the need at first till I explained that we would need snow to actually use them and now that we are ready the chance of snow was greatly diminished. She scolded me for not buying then sooner. 8) :D

jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Well, we'll all be on the edges of our seats waiting to hear how your snow-prevention measure works out. I already have plenty of proof it doesn't work where I live. But what the heck, if it works for you, maybe some of our friends in Texas or Louisiana will become interested and you can unload 'em! :lol:

John
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

[quote="N9149A"] I'm expecting the ski season to last at best 1 or 2 days. [quote="N9149A"]

Bruce, If this is true it is not worth your time or money to figure out the rigging for one or two flights unless you really, really want to go ski flying. Having been flying straight skis every year for the last 8 years, there is no way I would put up with the rigging and hassle for 1 or 2 days or even 1 or 2 weeks a year. But that's just me.

[quote="N9149A"] I didn't actually intend to buy the skis but became high bidder by accident because of a lack of understanding of the relationship between the reserve bid and proxy bidding an gahorn's favorite auction site. (EBAY)[quote="N9149A"]

Relist them and maybe make a small profit unless you like the look of skis cluttering up your garage!

[quote="N9149A"] I do appreciate all the responses for a Cub question on a Cessna site but I'm sure some of this info can relate the 170.[quote="N9149A"]

Why is this off topic or a "Cub question" Ski rigging for 170's is very much a relavent topic and something many of us in the northern climates deal with every year.

If you decide to rig and install the skis, have fun. Ski flying is great stuff in the right conditions.

The other Bruce
Bruce Fenstermacher

Well Bruce this Bruce likes them and will be keeping them at least long enough to prove or disprove my snow prevention theory.

They are already rigged for a Cub, the bungees just need replacing.

Right know the skis are leaning up against the wall in my office at work.

They're a great conversation piece. :D

mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Don't worry all, it will snow untill I get a new snowblower engine for the airport snowblower!!! The day the engine siezed, it snowed a foot!!!

Vic
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.