Tailwheel CFI needed - Southern Oregon

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

1SeventyZ

Tailwheel CFI needed - Southern Oregon

Post by 1SeventyZ »

I need to do my 5 hrs dual for the insurance requirements in my 170. I'm already tailwheel endorsed, but a relatively low time pilot, so just need somebody to put some time in with me on the 170 and put their John Handcock in my logbook.

Anybody know a qualifying CFI in the Grants Pass/Medford/Ashland area?

Thanks,
Zane
Last edited by 1SeventyZ on Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

In case you don't find the right CFI: I had a similar problem a year ago when I bought my Swift. There are a bunch of Swift owners here who are not CFIs, and I could find no CFI who had any solo Swift time. So I went to a Swift owner who was comfortable in the right seat, flying with my feet on the one pair of brake pedals in the airplane. I got him named as a pilot on my insurance. We did lots of high-speed taxi runs down the runway until I felt I was fully in control, then did a bunch of landings until I got the hang of it. I didn't log any of that time. Then I flew with a CFI who had lots of TW time, and got started checking him out in the Swift. He signed my logbook for the insurance requirements.

Maybe this can work for you too.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift