170 vs. 170A vs. 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Stuart, don't let these guys BS you. The 1948 (ragwing) 170 was the best one. Cessna realized almost immediately that they had come close to producing the perfect airplane, and knew if they kept it up that there would be no repeat business from the fully-satisfied owners. So they de-evolved the ragwing into the slightly inferior but still quite good A model, then later some further de-evolution into the B. This guaranteed that disatisfied owners would be trading up down and sideways in the future, and would insure future sales well into the next century.
This is a well known fact among ragwing owners,one of aviation's best-kept secrets. Ragwing owners even go to the extreme of selling their 48 models off at lower prices than the inferior later A & B models, just to keep the secret. We have all sworn a blood oath to.... wait, I hear someone creeping around on the front porch.......someone's prying a back window open.....it must be the ragwing good squad, here to make sure I keep my silence..........send help ..........
Last edited by zero.one.victor on Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just my luck. I find out now (too late) that I restored the wrong model 170. Had I known all this last year, I'd have bought a ragwing. :D
Doug
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Eric, we can't let anybody know how good we have it !! Soon everybody will want the "Family car of the air" which will fit 4 six foot adults comfortably in appointments that will meet the most discriminating. :!:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

mrpibb wrote:Eric, we can't let anybody know how good we have it !! Soon everybody will want the "Family car of the air" which will fit 4 six foot adults comfortably in appointments that will meet the most discriminating. :!:
And it's "simple to drive as an automobile" and "pays for itself". What a deal!
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

And it's "simple to drive as an automobile" and "pays for itself". What a deal!
Yep, and still waiting for the check :wink:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
3958v

Post by 3958v »

The flaps on the ragwing and A model are really superior because on a go around if you forget to retract them it won't make much difference. For you guys who think that Cessna keeps improveing their planes they have just what you want a new 172 with BIG flaps, a nose gear and more horsepower to improve your safety of flight. You can also impress your buddies with how much money you spent to have the latest and the greatest. As the owner of a poor old ragwing I plan to enjoy the good old days warts and all. I love all old tail draggers big flaps, little flaps. split flaps or no flaps. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Vic, I especially like the illustration (above the number 3 in your ad) of two couples on an outing in a 170. Plenty of elbow room there- looks about as big as a 48 Plymouth! "Wide seats, Luxurious cabin" indeed!

Eric (back from the dead)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Bruce F.
Here again (on my computer) is an example of a picture eclipsing following posts.
mrpibb posted a picture of a C-170 ad by Cessna. It apparently is page 63 from the Nov. 1948 issue of Flying Magazine. This post extends down and completely covers the two following posts by CraigH and 3958V.
Is it possible that I receive this information in a different manner than the other correspondents? Understand that this is a vertical problem only, There is no scrolling right or left involved.
BL
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

blueldr wrote:Bruce F.

Is it possible that I receive this information in a different manner than the other correspondents? Understand that this is a vertical problem only, There is no scrolling right or left involved.
Sure sounds strange. What platform / Operating System are you running?
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

And what web browser are you using / version? Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 works fine here.
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Unfortunately I can't tell you much about the "browser" and other stuff I'm using. I really don't know s--t about this thing.
In running the thing, I first light a fire in the boiler. When the pressure reaches a predetermined point a chime sounds. That's my signal that the SOB is ready to hook up to earthlink.net via the phone lines. After I'm hooked up, I punch up "Netscape". From there I go to "YAHOO', then to "Bookmarks", then to the TIC170A forum.
Like I say, I don't know S--t about this thing, but by god I'm a real whiz bang on the armament system on the Vega Ventura Airplanes of 1941! The engines too!
BL
alaskan99669

Post by alaskan99669 »

It sounds like you have an antiquated system running antiquated software so I don't think there is much hope. You could go to Microsoft.com and download the latest Internet Explorer, but that would be painfully slow on dial-up. Sorry I'm not more optimistic about your situation.
Corey
'53 170B N3198A #25842
Floats, Tundra Tires, and Skis
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Corey may be Right BL. When your in Netscape, which is our browser, you may be able to find out the version number somewhere. Then perhaps you could get a newer version or download Internet Explorer, Mazola Fire Fox or Opera and try these browsers.

Sounds like you might need some young whipper snapper to look over you system and perhaps get some updated software.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

The latest internet explorer is just an attractive spyware magnet. Use Mozilla Firefox. It's free, more secure, and has cool features like tabbed browsing. It also maintains HTML markup standards better, which may fix the problem you're having. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Google it.

I just bought a '54 170B. It's so new to me I haven't done more than taxi it to the hangar through pea soup fog. It is the most original one I could find, with no logged DH, and the most complete logs my broker says he's ever seen. It lived in Canada for a while, and while there, every flight was logged. Kinda cool, but I did pay a premium I think.

Some newer flap ratchets can be found in older 170B's too. The 54 is supposed to only have 0-20-30-40, but mine must have been replaced with a newer ratchet because it has the 10 degree setting.

I never even noticed the squared windows of the 55-56. I thought they were all roundy. CraigH, let's have a look.

I love that Cessna promo ad. Has anyone here ever actually put 4 adults in their 170?
R COLLINS

Post by R COLLINS »

I have put 680#'s of human flesh in my plane on numerous occasions. That computes to four adults at the 170# average used in POH. On our trips to Petit Jean we fly at 2200#'s with the four of us, full fuel, and our baggage for a three day trip (canping the last time). The listed empty for my plane is 1254#'s which I suspect is way low. 8O
Randal
51 Cessna 170A N1263D