170 vs. 170A vs. 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

swfraley

170 vs. 170A vs. 170B

Post by swfraley »

Having received some great replies on my earlier post (170 vs. Pacer), I thought I'd dig in for more detail.

Looking at TAP and Barnstormers, it seems to me that, comparing similarly-equipped and similar-timed airplanes, sellers are asking $8K -- $10K more for a 170B than a 170A. 170's are rare enough that I can't get a feel for the prices.

There MUST be more to this than flaps and heater/defrosters. Why so much more for the B's?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Stuart Fraley
Indianapolis
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That's about it. Heaters and flaps.

One other thing is that the B model has more in common parts wise with the later 172s and L19s which means that some parts such as flaps and elevators are easier to come by should you need one.

It's been said here before and I'm sure many more times to come. Buy the nicest airframe you can regardless of the model. '48 170s and A models can be great buys.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
t7275tr

170vs 170Avs 170B

Post by t7275tr »

It's like anything else,as it evolves, it gets better. The B's, especially the later models, 54-56 have features not found on the earlier models. The biggest advantage in the B's is the barndoor flaps. The later B's have a better cowling with big doors on both sides and a better heater. From mid 53 on the gear was better, known as lady legs. It was a thicker gear that tapered toward the bottom. All things considered, I would rather have a late model B, but as Bruce said they are all good airplanes and buy the best one you can find regardless of the year.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: 170vs 170Avs 170B

t7275tr wrote:...The later B's have a better cowling with big doors on both sides and a better heater.
I personally like the looks of the older cowl. Is the newer one better? Only you can answer. Oh yes if you buy one of the newest 170Bs there will only be a "big door" on one side of the cowl. And the passenger door window won't open either.
t7275tr wrote: From mid 53 on the gear was better, known as lady legs. It was a thicker gear that tapered toward the bottom.
Again is the gear better? There is no doubt the spring rate is different. Maybe you can make wheel landings easier. But they are no longer interchangeable.
Last edited by Bruce Fenstermacher on Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

trake

Post by trake »

I used to have an A, I now have a B. I like them both. The nicest feature of the B is the balanced elevators. It makes for a much lighter more responsive feel. For takeoffs I like the 10 degree flap setting, but that only applies to 55s and 56s, I think. The A model might be better looking with the almost no dihedral wing and the D shaped rear side windows IMHO
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
KMac

Post by KMac »

The "A" is much faster than the "B" because of the flat wing :wink: :D Actually I like my A model, but if you need the flaps for short take offs and landings the B is probably much better. I tried the 2nd notch short field take off the other day and it seemed to take LONGER than no flaps 8O. The large cowel doors are great for access to the squirrel cage too.
swfraley

Post by swfraley »

I'd forgotten about the couterbalanced elevators in the B's. I've only flown an A, and the first time I landed a little hard and the yoke jerked forward, I thought I'd broken something. :oops:
Stuart Fraley
Indianapolis
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Only the last two year's B models had squared rear windows. The 52 thru 54 B-models had the earlier "D" shaped rear window.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

My 55 model has cowling doors on both sides, however the passenger side is not needed. I need to put the screws back in it, since having the plane painted. That's one less door to keep maintained. Cessna put the battery and the oil dipstick both on the pilots side in later models. Were all model cowlings pressurized?

The later models also have 16 degrees of tailwheel steering. I don't know what year this started. The 55 model was the climax of production. The way I understand it, the 56 was being built from remaining parts, thus the passenger window not opening. Sure seems like that would be a quick fix to me.

I know this is not a politically correct post. For you see swfraley, it is the unspoken duty of the 170 owner to defend his year model and claim that any improvements of a later model must be bogus and a mistake. Which ever year you get, you must remember this!
What ever your plane can do, mine can do better! :lol:
Stinson driver

Post by Stinson driver »

This is all such good stuff - I had no idea there were so many varients-
We have so few 170s here (7 or 9 I think) and you never see them together to compare- thanx guys
Doug S/Africa
Bruce Fenstermacher

AR Dave wrote:......I know this is not a politically correct post. For you see swfraley, it is the unspoken duty of the 170 owner to defend his year model and claim that any improvements of a later model must be bogus and a mistake. Which ever year you get, you must remember this!
What ever your plane can do, mine can do better! :lol:
Now Dave that is just not true. It is an interesting observation you make though that later years must be bogus with all those creature comforts like heat. :D

Oh yes one more thing. What ever my plane can do yours just can't do as well. :twisted:

Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Some have also added the 10 degree flap setting on the early B's. Not hard to do at all. :)
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N4373B

Post by N4373B »

It's probably just differences in the particular planes, but my 1955 170B has a much better cabin heater than the 1949 170A that I owned previously.
Bill Rusk

Post by Bill Rusk »

The B model flaps allow you to get the airplane in and stopped quite short. Even if you do not fancy the need for this on a daily basis, it gives you a lot more options and better glide path control in an emergency. The heater is much better in the B which is necessary not only for flying in the northern climates but also for using the higher altitudes for cruise where it is typically much cooler.
In short, the price is a function of buyer willingness to pay, and the prices go up with the year and model so I guess that means the later years and models are the most desireable.

Bill
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

For those interested (or had forgotten) the History of the 170 was posted at:
http://www.cessna170.org/phpBB2/viewtop ... istory+170
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)