Something for non-members/non attendees to think about

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ron74887

Something for non-members/non attendees to think about

Post by ron74887 »

Article reprinted from the 170 news after Velvet got first dibs to print

Good Friends or Family?

Well with the latest loss of another very special person (Richard Walker), I have decided to write this. I joined the Assn. in ‘78 and attended my first convention in Lakeland, FL. (the 1st Lakeland convention). At the time (I was age 28 ), I found myself welcomed and greeted by many of the old timers (as I thought of them) with open arms.

A remembrance to some of them follows. The Assn. was struggling for cash at that time and I remember that Tom O’Connell and Forrest (Doggie) Kline bought stuff they really did not need (I think they even donated some of it) at the convention auction. They were always there to help bail out the Assn. in the rough times. In the 25 years I knew Doggie, he never aged at all. Ovid Bonham (Daddy Duck) raised hell about the FBO wanting people to stay at their plane to pay for gas after Sun n Fun. When some folks left them holding the bag, Ovid gave the FBO $100.00 and said take out any money this group sticks you for and mail me the rest, then commenced to tell the rest of us that we’d have to fight him if we didn’t pay our bill. As time passed, Gerald Broshar, Harry Gerstung (politically incorrect), Dan Urbach and Bill Husted to mention a few have made impressions and touched our lives. One lady I need to mention is Jeanette Taylor who, after losing her husband, made most of the conventions by hook or crook just to be with “US”.

We’ve made and met many friends and acquaintances over the years. As Bill Werner recently wrote about Russ Noble, the same is/was true about many of our members. Went to Bisbee, AZ on the way to San Diego and had a real treat with Russ. Copper mines, Mexico and visiting more good friends on the way to another convention (that’s half the fun). No one could ever forget Marvin and Virginia Nichols. Marvin always greeted me with “you are an Ass of some kind I just can’t remember which kind” (see sign off).

Two others who need mentioning are the Texas duo Jack Sandlin and Cecil Melendy, who were always the ones to start the “let’s throw him in the pool”. Every convention you could bet, at some important time somebody was gonna be late for a meeting, cause they hit the water. At Blakesburg, I remember Jack came up just laughing to beat all Hell holding Cecil’s soaking wet wallet because Cecil knew, since he started it, he was going to get thrown in. Sure enough Jack got thrown in with Cecil’s wallet and Cecil didn’t get wet.

Now that we lost Richard O (Rummy), who always had a smart remark and/or a good answer for whatever the situation was/is –called it like it was. “Dime Charlie, Ten Cent Charlie” as he was often called because of his N # (N4610C) always gave his ten cents worth and will forever be in the hearts of many and will be missed by all. One thing Richard O was famous for was the “Dumb and Tuff” award. The recipients were a little embarrassed while the convention attendees had a laugh. I, as well as Connie (my wife) won this award. I’ll reminisce a little here about Connie’s award, since hers is better than mine. She woke up one morning and was going to put eye drops in her eyes. Digging thru her purse (you all know women carry way too much junk in them), she picked up a little round bottle and put a drop in her eye, -- WRONG--fingernail glue--had to go to the doctor and get eye lashes cut off to open her eye. “If you’re gonna be DUMB you gotta be TUFF” was Richard’s famous saying. I am glad we got to fly the return trip from Dearborn with him in our flight. We said our goodbyes in Bloomington on our way home, afterwards he headed west - we went south. In hindsight, the time spent visiting was not long enough to really enjoy. There are many more that I failed to mention, forgive me, but this could go on forever and thinking and writing of the lost ones is tough.

Note: Although Peggy Bonham and Genevee Broshar have lost their “pilot” husbands, they are still active in the Assn., as well as Sue Sandlin Jayne, Lajuan Melendy and Florence Gerstung who still attend the Texas Christmas party, another local 170 event.

For the younger generation and new members, I say this with some reservation because I may be an old timer now in your eyes, if you have never attended a fly-in or convention and enjoyed the “170 Family”, you are missing out on a lot that the club has to offer. And for those that now think the dues are too high, can you replace the information and friendships that are available and develop thru this group. ?? I think not.

The folks I mentioned above are now flying high and with tailwinds only and I am certain they are looking over the Assn. knowing they have touched some people in ways they never knew. And, they never really knew how/what we really thought or felt about them.

As time passes we will certainly lose more of the old timers and it’s up to some of the “young and restless” to take up the slack and keep the old birds flying. I’ll mention a few like Bruce, Ark. Dave, what his name and Becky (Kyle, I had to do it), Kelowna Dave, and a couple of Steve’s. They have showed interest in fly-ins and conventions. I know there are more out there and sorry that I didn’t mention your name.

As far as the old timers go, there is one still here I would like to mention, Bob Schroers, only because it was his Gripe and complaint was that the “future planning” be on every business meeting agenda. His idea was what we as an Assn. need to keep the KIDS and younger people involved in flying and the Assn. “It’s our future” and he is right. Look at the Mock girls for example.

Also, it’s been said that we are cliquish, well that’s wrong - sometimes everyone is hesitant to walk up and talk to strangers. However, we only see this FAMILY once a year and try to catch up and renew old friendships. That being said, we should all try to remember that the kind of people you have just read about are the folks that, not in one meeting or one convention but over a few years, have somehow, unknowingly, become important members of our FAMILY.

Ron Massicot, Coonass (just for Marvin)
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Well said, Ron!

Just finished ready the article in the magazine and was going to send you a note. Went to the website and also saw it here so I'll reply here instead.

In the brief time we've been associated with the organization, we have met many "family" members. It's been a great association with lots of knowledge as well as fun times.

And shoot, I don't mind it when people forget my name. That way when I screw up they can't remember who caused it. :wink:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
ron74887

Post by ron74887 »

YES They will it will be Becky's husband what's his name -- good one hope to see ya'll at Petit Jean
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!