Lift Strut Data

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

johneeb wrote:Miles etal,

Do you have an explanation of cooling drag and any ideas on how to eliminate it? :?:
I was talking to one our resident PHd's here at the Rocket Lab at lunch today about that and he said that a converging cooling inlet designed correctly for the speed of the airplane and cooling air flow requirements of the engine would increase the density of the air used for cooling over what we get with our stock pressure cowling. The denser air wouldn't have to travel as fast through the engine to pick up heat from it. (Lower velocity = less drag?) He also said that a properly designed divergent outlet could allow the heated air to generate a few pounds of thrust on the way out. I think that would entail a complete re-design of the cowling, and possibly a prop extension to make room for a long enough inlet. Not a trivial pursuit. Such a project would have to be a labor of love for someone.

I've seen systems like this on some of the faster homebuilts but I have no idea what the results have been.

I have an acquaintance here who works for Scaled Composites who has designed a carbon composite cowling for Lycoming O-360 powered 170s for a friend of his. (He distributed some literature at the Tehachapi C-170 convention last year.) Maybe some of you Alaksa guys have seen that cowling, as it is currently undergoing STC testing up there (FSDO is more cooperative than in SoCal). I don't think it incorporates the converging/diverging idea as much as it's a lighter weight, more aesthetic way to wrap a Lyc on a 170.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Thanks Miles :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
spiro

Post by spiro »

cessna170bdriver wrote: Maybe some of you Alaksa guys have seen that cowling, as it is currently undergoing STC testing up there
Miles,

do you know who is involved with that up here?

paul
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

spiro wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote: Maybe some of you Alaksa guys have seen that cowling, as it is currently undergoing STC testing up there
Miles,

do you know who is involved with that up here?

paul
Sorry Paul, but I don't know the guy with the 170 in Alaska with the carbon fiber cowl. I know he used to live near here, but moved several years ago. It's a bit late tonight to call the guy that designed it, but I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. Maybe someone on the list has one of the cowling brochures from the Tehachapi 170 convention?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne