Where to put CDI?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

Where to put CDI?

Post by sanships »

Where do you place a CDI when all 7 holes are taken by ASI,T&B,ALT,AH,DG,VSI,RPM? Saw some pictures showing an 8th hole below the middle hole(seems like a difficult mod due to the strenghening required) and others beside the radio stacks panel covers. Picture attachment and explanation on the difficulty of installation appreciated. Is there a 2 1/2" CDI that can interface with kx170b's? Thanks!
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Alvin, that "eighth hole" mod you refer to would require removing the overlay and then either adding a piece to the instrument panel or, probably easier, removing the existing instrument panel and fabricating a new one that included the piece that drops down in the center to accomodate the extra instrument. The 170 & 170A models had a couple different versions of the panel - one of which that included an instrument in that exact location. This was usually done when the compass was panel-mounted in the center (where one might usually fine the DG), so the VSI (I believe) was mounted beneath it. If you can find an instrument panel from one of those then it would already have the mounting hole you need for the CDI and all you would need to do is cutout the compass hole above it to accommodate whatever instrument you plan on mounting there.
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Here are some shots from a TIC170A member (can't remember who - sorry) who performed the mod:

Instrument panel installed

Panel Overlay modified for extra hole

Panel completed
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Alvin how much money do you have for that 2 1/2" CDI. :roll:

Viewing the panel picture Doug posted my CDI is located just about where the stall warning horn is located just to the left of the control column. I do not have either of the lower outer panel covers installed on my airplane which makes the panel flat in this area.

Also viewing his picture my radio stack is closer to the outside of the aircraft The right side of the CDI is flush to the right of the radio stack below it and there is enough room for the CDI. I have a GPS annunciator panel to the left of the CDI.

I also relocated my Mag switch to a lower sub panel so the my key ring wouldn't dangle in front of the CDI. I don't think I have a picture but if I find one I'll post it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Alvin, here's an idea. I'm assuming you have the panel-mounted compass. Get a windshield-mount ot panel-top compass, pull the panel-mount compass, get a 2-1/4" VSI & mount in the compass hole. Pull the 3-1/8" VSI and mount your CDI in that hole.
My Spruce catalog lists some 2-1/4" VSI's at about $200, and some windshield mount compasses for somewhat less.
Mounting the CDI in a sub-panel would probably be easier & cheaper, maybe make up a flat sub-panel to replace the LH glovebox.

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

zero.one.victor wrote:Alvin, here's an idea. I'm assuming you have the panel-mounted compass. Get a windshield-mount ot panel-top compass, pull the panel-mount compass, get a 2-1/4" VSI & mount in the compass hole. Pull the 3-1/8" VSI and mount your CDI in that hole.
My Spruce catalog lists some 2-1/4" VSI's at about $200, and some windshield mount compasses for somewhat less.

Eric
D'oh! :roll: Funny how the passage of time fogs the memory. What Eric describes is how mine was setup when I purchased it.
Doug
briancbaker

Post by briancbaker »

Another possibility would be to replace your DG with an HSI. Then you would have DG, CDI all in one hole. This would be quite a bit more expensive 8O , but would look really slick.
Blue Skies!!

Brian Baker
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Actually, Becker (German mfr) makes an approved 2-1/4" CDI with GlideSlope, etc. but they are not the "low bidder" in any contest I've ever seen. (Their more common 3-1/8" indicators go for $2K, etc.)

This page has a pic of their unit near the bottom.
http://www.avionix.com/indicator.html
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)