Greetings everyone, I'm looking for a C170

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dkalwishky

Greetings everyone, I'm looking for a C170

Post by dkalwishky »

A good friend of mine is looking to buy his first airplane and take flying lessons.

We've been looking at older C172's, C170's, Tripacers and Pacers.

He likes the taildragger's and is really looking hard at Pacers. Being a former 172 owner I'd like to see him in a 170 :)

Does anyone know of any for sale? He's looking to spend around $30K on the plane.

I looked through the trade mart and didn't see anything.

Dave
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I think you'll find it pretty tough to locate much in the way of a C-170at thirty grand today. I'd think that would be, on the average, about five grand light. But don't give up. Keep looking. You never can tell when a sleeper will pop up.
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

He oughta be able to find a pretty nice Pacer for that price. Don't knock them, a friend of mine has one (a 150 horsepower converted TriPacer) that out climbs & out cruises my 170, and will pretty much match it for takeoff & landing distances.

Eric
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

zero.one.victor wrote:He oughta be able to find a pretty nice Pacer for that price. Don't knock them, a friend of mine has one (a 150 horsepower converted TriPacer) that out climbs & out cruises my 170, and will pretty much match it for takeoff & landing distances.

Eric
Ditto Eric's comments. Not nearly as comfortable or roomy, but a 170 in the same condition as a Pacer is likely to bring $10-15K more than the Pacer will. There have been some really nice looking Pacers advertised lately. I'm sure you know this though, you used to own a Colt didn't you. ;)
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

I had a Colt and Tripacer :)

I agree that the Pacers are very nice planes and I'd love to fly one, deep down I'm a cessna man :)

Dave
davevramp

c140

Post by davevramp »

I started with a c140 to see if I liked the tail wheel experience.
Aster 25 years of flying 150 and 182 the little c140 with 85 HP puts some manners and a smile back on my face. Then I ran into a c170 that I had to have. Now I fly them both. Will be selling the 140 soon, will be sorry when it goes. If I had a hanger that big enough for both I would not sell the 140
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I think it can be done for 32-35K. There's always one for sale on Barnstormers, I'm sure that they are out there. Be patient, finding one that doesn't nickle and dime you is another thing. Oh yeah aviation thats $500 and a $1000 a pop
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave, my hangar is large enough. You can put the 140 in my hangar and you wont' have to sell it! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

There is a 170A in Maine listed in Trade-a-plane. I've flown in it and it's clean. The guy has two 170's and wants only one. Or send a PM and I'll give you his name and phone number. He is a 170 member.
JIM BAKER
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

In my post above the plane is in your price range.
JIM BAKER
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

A Pacer is a nice little airplane, but-----it really needs a hangar, as do all fabric aircraft. So does a C-170.
A great many areas command a hangar rent that would be well beyond my ability to pay.
That's when you must think "all metal", as in C-170A or C-170B.
BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I think you need a hangar, or at least access to a hangar, for any airplane you plan on maintaining yourself. I used to own a C150 that I kept tied down on the infield at our airport. I got real tired of losing parts in the grass, and having to coordinate maintenance & repairs with the weather was a pain also. A hangar also gives you somewhere to keep your spares, gas cans, etc, and to hang out, flight plan, and go "hangar flying". There's a reason they don't call it "ramp flying"....
We've never had a hangar collapse at our airport, but several tied-down airplanes have come loose & flailed themselves to death in windstorms just in the 10 years I've been around there.

Eric
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

zero.one.victor wrote: We've never had a hangar collapse at our airport, but several tied-down airplanes have come loose & flailed themselves to death in windstorms just in the 10 years I've been around there.Eric
Sounds like a good place to have a knot-tying seminar... or start using chains instead of rope. I've been around Tehachapi for 9 years and I've never known an airplane to get loose. (We have several thousand wind turbines here, so guess what the wind is like.) At $450/month, I'm considering putting'98C out to pasture (asphalt?). At that price I can repaint and install new windows about every other year. :x
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne