Fall Foliage Trip

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rupertjl

Fall Foliage Trip

Post by rupertjl »

I wanted to get out and look at some nice fall foliage and I figured this week or next would probably be around peak time. I was looking for a nice grass strip in West Va. or Va. Anybody know of any? I'm based near Pax River NAS in MD. Just looking for a day trip. Thought it might be a good opportunity to meet some fellow TICA 170 members as well.

v/r,
Jud
dacker

Post by dacker »

Jud, you just stirred up a great old memory. My last flight out of PAX River was in an H-3 November of '95 on what we called a "DDA" (Day D--k around). We flew up the Potomac through DC on the low helicopter route (try that now!), on up to Harper's Ferry, then down the East side of the Appalachians on I believe the Shenandoah river, then back East over Bealton,VA (where the weekly flying circus is),then back to Pax. This is a beautiful time of year there, enjoy your flight!
I would highly recommend the grass strip at Bealton, it is truly what GA is about! :D
David
trake

Post by trake »

Jud, Potomac airpark w35 is nice. You can land in the grass on the south side of the paved runway and walk down to the river or into town-Hancock, Md. Mexico farms 1w3, south of Cumberland, Md has a smooth strip. I havent been there for several years, am not sure its still open. Rainelle, WVA IS nice Im told, may have a restaurant
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Yo David,
You got a three/four letter id or location for Bealton???? It does not show up on Airnav under that name.

Jud,
Where exactly are you based?? I'm in Alexandria just SW of the center of the universe :lol: .

thanks gentlemen,
chuck
dacker

Post by dacker »

Chuck, I don't know the identifier, I don't even know if they are still open. I live in Bryan, TX now. I just happen to have the old newspaper advertisement in a picture frame with a picture of my wife getting a Stearman ride. It says that it is on Rte. 17 between I-95 Fredericksburg/Rte. 29 Warrenton. Back then they had the Flying Circus every Sunday from maybe March through October. It was a lot of fun, hope this helps, and hope it is still active. The phone number from 1995 was (703) 439-8661. Maybe you will get lucky!
:) David
dacker

Post by dacker »

Duh... I just did an internet search, THe Flying Circus is still active (yeah!). The identifier is given as W-66 on the website. Google "The Flying Circus Bealeton , VA" and you will see it. Next weekend is the last weekend, don't miss it if you haven't seen it!
David
trake

Post by trake »

Guys, W66 is Warrenton-Fauquier County airport, Im based there. Bealeton is home of the Flying Circus, they dont want you flying in there-its about 3 miles by air from W66. Ithink you can get a shuttle on show days
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

Mannny thanks for the info.

Shucks, if they don't want me to fly in :oops: , I won't. Sounds a mite inhospitable :roll: to this ole redneck. To each his/her own.

chuck
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Dacker,

We still do those DDA's around here, but mostly the low level route over VA and W. VA and out in the restricted areas.

I made the trip yesterday, flew out of 2W6 and head over Shannon, to Orange Co. and then over the mountains to Lauray Caverns. Landed there and then went North East to Front Royal and then back to Pax River.

Guys at Lauray told me the gentleman that ran Rainelle passed away. Just FYI.

N170CT, I keep my bird at St. Mary's, 2W6, right outside Pax River NAS
kmisegades

Post by kmisegades »

Jud,

Try the Windwood Resort in the Canaan Valley of WV. Great restaurant on the field. We stayed there for 3 nights in September, rented a car and explored the area. Lots to see and do. Prices are very reasonable. The field is asphalt and ours was the third C-170 to land on the field that day. Say hi to owner Joe Beam for me. Kent /www.windwoodresort.com
regards,

Kent Misegades
N2758D 1952 C-170B
dacker

Post by dacker »

Jud, I drove back through the Pax area a couple of years ago, it has grown quiet a bit in the ten years since we left. Actually, the whole area has grown... I guess as a result of the "Base Realignment". I tried to get on base, no chance since I am no longer active duty. My daughter was born on base so we were trying to show her around. So we just went and hung around Solomon (sp?) Island and had lunch. Nice to reminisce. How long have you been there?
David
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

David,

I've been here for 3 years now, NAVAIR offered me a job right out of college, which was right after 9/11 (the aerospace industry wasn't hiring much then!) I'm glad I accepted. I'm a flight test engineer in the ordnance department. I'm working on building a land bridge between the western and eastern shores with the inert bombs we drop in the bay. I also have 10 hours in the back of F/A-18's...I still can't believe they pay me to do this work!

If you're ever back in the area, let me know, I'll get you on base...the base has changed a great deal in the past few years as well.
kmisegades

Leaf Peeping in VA

Post by kmisegades »

Jud, Do they let you drop those inert bombs from your C-170? Low and slow you'd be far more accurate than an F-18. I work with Darren Grove and Susan Polsky of NAVAIR. Nice folks doing aero work for stores separation and ship wake effects. If your stuff falls correctly, then thank in part these folks and their use of my company's software. Regarding leaf peeping - try also Blue Ridge airport near Martinsville, VA - great restaurant on the field and lots of NASCAR stuff due to proximity of track. Hills just to west of field are full of color these days. Not far to the north is Smith Mountain Lake, bordered to the southwest by hills full of color. There is a good airfield on the lake. From there one can take a nice walk through the local woods on back country gravel roads. Watch for jumpers on weekends there, though. Kent
regards,

Kent Misegades
N2758D 1952 C-170B
dacker

Post by dacker »

Jud, I was with SAR Helo at PAX, and flew the C-12s. It wasn't a real career enhancer, but by then I was already planning on leaving active duty. We had to keep the H-3s within a 25 mile radius of PAX and had to be airborn when they were flight testing the Osprey. We got to know that area of the Chesapeake like the backs of our hands. When the range wasn't active we would mock strafe the target ship with our mighty Sea Kings. It was a good place to buy a house and start my family. After seeing what the real estate prices shot up to, I wish I had kept the house!
David
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Kent,

I've been scheming to put rocket pods on the wings...I'm sure i can find an old bird dog with the proper gear somewhere in storage. I've worked with Darren quite a bit actually. Although, we flight test guys always tell the aero guys their predictions are wrong so we can actually go fly the points instead of clearing by analysis :wink: