control cable overhaul/replacement?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sanships

control cable overhaul/replacement?

Post by sanships »

Is there a way to have my original throttle, mixture, carb heat, starter pull, cabin heat and park brake cables overhauled? Are there replacements available? Can the knobs be removed and just have the cables replaced? Cessnaparts.com cannot supply other cables, only park brake and carb heat, and they want premium price for it. Help!
Alvin Sandoval RPVM Cebu, Philippines
1952 170b, RP-C399, SN. 25287
2001 Robinson R22BII
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I'm not sure if new cables can be installed in the existing knobs, but the only difference between the carb heat, mixture, starter, and parking brake is the length. If the original look is important to you and you don't want to use an after-market cable, remember that carb heat cables are the longest, so if you need mixture and starter cables, buy a couple of carb heat cables and cut them to length.

Hope this helps, Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

If you can live with cables whose knobs are slightly different from original, you can order them using the original part numbers from Yingling, CessnaParts, etc. The knob is white (or gray?) and has a knurled edge. When painted to match the other knobs you can hardly tell the difference.
Doug