170 in Japan?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

S&G Lynn

170 in Japan?

Post by S&G Lynn »

I have a 170B with a unique history that maybe some of you would know something about. It was in Japan for the first part of it's life and I have records showing it to be operated by a flying club at USMC base Iwakuni, Japan where it was ground looped in 1970. When we stipped the paint the skin had been etched with the prior markings which showed that at one time it was waring the red meatballs and had the letters "JAD" on the wings next to the meatballs. It also had a tail identification written in four Japanese marks that read "Eastern Japan Aviation Company". After the plane was ground looped it was sold for salvage in 1972 and the tail number it had at that time was striken from the Japanese register and 9277 was given to it when it got to the states. The books apparently stayed in Japan as well. The airplane had at one time a removable rear windows, and lighted billboard on the side and has two camera ports in the belly with fitted plugs. I had to get a DER to get them approved but they have been in the plane since at least 1970 where they were noted on a 337 that was done without field approval in Tokyo. When the plane was in Iwakuni it seemed to belong to a man named Roy Baker and then when it came to the states it was owned by a Mr. Ralph Hickey in Carona, CA.

If anyone knows anything about this plane or these owners please let me know. I only have the books back to 1972 and I would like to get more info on it's history in Japan where it did most of it's 6300+ flying hours.

Scott
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Wow, that's a pretty wild history. Would love to hear more if you learn anything else.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR