A Grin that hurts.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

A Grin that hurts.

Post by c170b53 »

After 9 years of tinkering I relaunched s/n 25656 today. Just had to tell everyone. C170B Lycoming O-320-B3B hartzell C/S. Looking forward to taking it to Kelowna and anywhere else.
KMac

Post by KMac »

Congratulations!! :D I would be interested in hearing some more of the details about your bird. What did you do to it in the 9 years - restoration or conversion? How did it fly? Got any pics? The other members who have been around a while probably know about your project already, but I am new.
Kevin
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your airplane at Kelowna! I've heard of O-320 conversions, but I've never seen one. Any mods to the cowling?

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'm not sure as to how many 0-320 conversions have been undertaken in the past or how many exist today. I'm thinking maybe one hand could do the math. Any conversion is going to eat up capital, so get the most for your dollar. if I had to do it all over again (and I wouldn't because I'd be in either a walker or a nut shack by the time I had finished) I would go with H.D. conversion 180 HP fixed pitch. With virtually everything new or repaired, there was alot to take in on the first flight. My first observations of aircraft performance confirm what has been stated by many with regards to conversions. The aircraft seemed to leap into the air but cruise speed appears to be about the same. Yes I'm using mineral oil for break in even though alot around here lately are using xc20w-50. As the aircraft has a overhauled engine, propeller and airframe I stayed out of the mountains and in fact I found circling a golf course quite relaxing. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures next.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Which STC did you use for the 320 conversion? Or was it a "field approval" or whatever the Canadian equivalent is?

Eric
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Eric the STC SA135CE was installed in 1969 into N2790C. I removed it and have installed it into C-FIHK. N2790C was operated in Alaska and was highly modified. It was operated as a STOL aircraft and had amongst other things flap curtains, fabric between the wing trailing edge and the leading edge of the flaps. It's an installation I've never seen before. Not long after receiving a new prop the aircraft ended up in a snow bank at the end of a short strip. I acquired the aircraft, removed the good stuff and sold the rest. To use the STC all the components have been inspected, repaired, replaced or rebuilt and recertified. Good news is s/n 26334 is now being rebuilt in Prince George B.C.