Garmin Panel-Mount for Handhelds

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Garmin Panel-Mount for Handhelds

Post by GAHorn »

I like the Garmin-supplied mount for their 196 just fine. I have it's swivel-base attached to the top of my glareshield with industrial-strength Velcro in order to easily remove it whenever I wish. The actual mount is designed to slip out of the swivel base whenever I wish, but if it's desired to also remove the swivel-base...then the velcro is a simple solution (over using the sticky-pad they supply.) Anyway, with it upon my glareshield, the 196 is much like a HUD (Heads-Up-Display) and the small self-contained antenna is completely adequate.....I've never had a reception problem and only experience strong satellite signals.

But,...there's another solution I think is pretty cool for those who'd like a more finished appearance. Check this out: http://www.airgizmos.com/prod/gpsmount/index.asp

Personally, I disagree that a field approval is required for this type of thing. I believe that only a logbook entry is necessary since it's removeable equipment. The connection to the aircraft electrical supply and antenna installation must meet FAR 43, but that's all I feel is necessary to document.

(Your results may vary. Professional driver on a closed course. Do not try this at home.) :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

The in-panel mounts really look nice! I've seen them in some RV's and they really have a classy custom installed look. However, I didn't have room in the panel of my 170, and didn't want to mount on top the glare shield so I went this route: http://www.propellerheadpilot.com/Default.htm

Works pretty good, stays stuck all day long and still easy to reach.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Guess that's OK if you don't mind flying upside down. :wink: (Wonder if they did that on purpose to make it look like the antenna won't be in the way?)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Wow George! I didn't even notice that the 195 was upside down. 8O I'm using their mount for a 296 and it works well with just the attached antenna.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Actually, the 195 is right side up. It's the 296 that's upside down - the keypad/antenna is on the left. Roll your cursor over the center picture - the one without a gps attached. The 296 appears when you position the cursor on it.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah, they HAD to do that on purpose. Look closely and you'll see the screen has the numbers right-side up, and the legend "Garmin 296" is also right-side up. If I'm not mistaken, the 296 is exactly the same as the 196 with regards to lay-out, and that would mean the antenna would be on the right side...not the left. They must not want folks to realize the antenna will be sticking up on the right side (where it'll be more likely to get a poor signal.)
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Yep, the 296 has it's antenna on the right side. However, I've never had a problem getting a signal with it mounted where they show in the pictures.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Craig, did you download the towers software that Garmin now offers? I'm planning on buying/dnloading it but wondered if it caused the loss of pilot-entered waypoints like their last big software update did. :evil:
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

George,
Are you talking about the obstruction database? If so, it comes standard with the 296. I haven't updated the database with anything newer than what came on my unit though.

One way to avoid losing your waypoints is to downoad them to the MapSource software that comes with the new Garmin units. That way if you wipe out what's on your GPS you can easily re-load it from your PC. I've slowly been adding all the private strips on the DFW sectional, and would probably jump off a cliff at the thought of doing it again.
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
steve grewing

GPS mount

Post by steve grewing »

I'd just like to know how the guy with two left arms passed his medical.

Steve
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

He may not have had a problem passing the medical - the FAA is looking for deficiencies, not additional abilities. :D It's kinda like computer software - something that doesn't work is a "bug", something that performs an extra function (whether you asked for it or not) is a "feature". :twisted:
Doug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

doug8082a wrote:He may not have had a problem passing the medical - the FAA is looking for deficiencies, not additional abilities. :D It's kinda like computer software - something that doesn't work is a "bug", something that performs an extra function (whether you asked for it or not) is a "feature". :twisted:
Bugs? I've been on the government side of several system acquisitons, and I don't recall a contractor ever admitting to bugs in their software, only "undocumented features". :o

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I fail to see anything wrong with the orientation of the 296 mount. :?: It does however seem to be an over-priced peice of plastic.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne