Rebuilding the rear seat and headroom

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gwillford

Rebuilding the rear seat and headroom

Post by gwillford »

I am in the process of doing a ground up on my 53 and at the moment rebuilding my rear seat. I have replaced the foam with new 2 in foam and cover from Airtex. Turned our great except now my two back seat pilots have their heads touching the headliner. Realizing that I can’t legally exchange the kids for shorter models, I am recovering the seat. So that I do not perform this task more than twice, I ask, has anyone modified the rear seat for more headroom? Thin Foam? Removed the springs and created a sling seat?

Thanks for the input!
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I had about one inch of that foam that contours to your body (insulfoam or temperfoam?) on my BAS jump seats in the 181. It worked great. I think most upholstery shops use it.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

The stock seats have 1" foam. Just redid mine and they turned out great, plenty of head room
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

A friend of mine has a back seat which is just the bare frame covered with ceconite fabric. Great for tall pax, for short flights!

Eric
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

Stop feeding the kids!! :wink:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
gwillford

Post by gwillford »

Problem solved. I removed the springs, removed most of the arch and reinstalled. Not fun. Watch fingers, watch eyes, watch what comes out of mouth. Rebuilt the seat with 1 in foam in the back blending in more foam up front (2 in total) for leg support. Looks good, feels good, and more headroom. Thanks for the input.

PS. The don't feed the kids comment did not go over well with them! :wink: