Short Landing at Petit Jean

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Short Landing at Petit Jean

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Ok here is the video which Dave caught of me performing one of my best short field landings.

To set this up I must tell everyone that this was late Saturday afternoon about 2 hours after arriving ending about 6 hours of flying for the day which was the third day into the trip.

I was asked whether the VGs installed on my airplane really work. So I thought the only thing to do was give a demonstration flight with the curious person onboard. As it turned out he declined but I proceeded anyway primarily to get some pictures from the air.

While I was in the air I decided that I would break the curse of floating down the runway that everyone seem to have landing that day and make my landing as short as possible.

After taking the photos I made my approach. What I didn't know was that the mud bugs were due to arrive at any minute. As I turned final everyone was lining the runway for their arrival but here I come instead. I didn't know till I saw the movie that they had applauded my landing effort.

Of course I'd like to say I can do these short landings any time. OK I will. :D :D

Here is the link to the movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsAk2zUNKOs
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Great piece of film and great flying Bruce, it only lacks the part where after completeing the 180 on the runway you applied full power and took off again. :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Nice and short without slamming it down. Well done!
Craig Helm
Graham, TX (KRPH)
2000 RV-4
ex-owner 1956 Cessna 170B N3477D, now CF-DLR
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Jumpin' Jehosephat! That's one for the record books!
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb wrote:Great piece of film and great flying Bruce, it only lacks the part where after completeing the 180 on the runway you applied full power and took off again. :D
Well John I can't show all my cards at the same fly-in. 8)

rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Bruce, beautiful landing!
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Bruce, you da man!
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Well, I dunno....After watching it about 20 times and listening to the tires chirp in their relationship to the white threshold bar, I think you landed short!!! :twisted: This is a DQ where I come from. What's the deal or I'm I mistaken?

Just poking a little fun, Bruce
Bruce Fenstermacher

Well as I remember it I wasn't short but neither was I long. I remember thinking if I'm going to do this don't be short in front of all these people. That would be a BIG DQ.

If your not familiar with Petit Jean the approach over the lake can be very flat and landing in that direction is uphill which helps with the braking.

This was just one of those special times when everything worked perfectly including Dave being there to capture it on film. While it is perhaps one of my shortest landings I think the angle of the camera shot makes it look a little shorter than it was. Maybe Dave can stop by Petit Jean and measure from the displaced threshold line to the top of the numbers and report back.

In any case the mark has been set for all future arrivals at Petit Jean. Personally, should I make it back to that neck of the woods, I will be shooting for the parking turn off, my original goal, which is about 50ft shorter. :D

Forrest Walton

Post by Forrest Walton »

Bruce,

How about sharing your technique!

Flap selection( How much and when), speed, power setting, aim point?

Thanks,

Forrest
Living the Dream!
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

I will get up to Petit Jean and measure that distance. Possibly soon since Scott & Ginger are coming in for the Russellville Airshow next weekend. Hey, I might have made that tire chirping a little louder than it was. We were trying to bring out the clapping sound of the audience, which I didn't remember either. The chirping of the tires increased in volume proportionally. Scott and I just might have to go up there and see if we can make our own video and with a clean lense. We won't say anything unless we can turn into the parking lot, of course on the first attempt. :wink:
Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave I've looked at another aerial shot of Petit Jean and the displaced threshold is at the turn off. Guess I was thinking if I ignored the displaced threshold I'd want to make the parking area. I do remember thinking that would be bad form in front of everyone.

I have reviewed the movie another 20 times and it does in fact seem that my wheels may have touched just in front of the displaced threshold line but I have to tell you that from my view in the cockpit I touched on the threshold line.

As for my technique, I don't have one other than flying REAL slow on final. I also practice a lot. If I land and use more than a 1000 ft total of usable runway I consider it a BAD landing.

The stock 170 is capable of doing this short of a landing. The VGs I have and I'm sure other STOL kits as well, just make this more comfortable to do.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I think that no matter what anyone says.....it was a good landing.
But...as for landing contests....
The only spot landing contests I've ever participated in had a handicap system for the pilot experience level.
ALL pilots must touch down beyond the line...not before ...or it was DisQualifying.
The touchdown point of the main wheels was the beginning of the determining point, however, no bounce was allowed. If bounced....the last point of touchdown was the only one which counted. Total rollout distance to the complete stop was also measured. Both points were used to determine the final point. (The mid-point of the entire landing roll being the final point of determination.)
The handicap system was:
Student pilots could do anything they wished to get on the ground, including the use of flaps, slips, S-turns, and power addition or subtraction.
Private pilots could use flaps and/or slips and S-turns, but from the point on downwind opposite the threshold, power could only be kept or reduced....never added.
Commercial or better pilots may not use flaps,....but they may use slips and S-turns, and must completely reduce power to idle on downwind opposite the threshhold.
Any addition of power by Private or higher pilots was disqualifying.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

N9149A wrote:The stock 170 is capable of doing this short of a landing. The VGs I have and I'm sure other STOL kits as well, just make this more comfortable to do.
I agree, the stock 170 (at least the B :wink: ) IS capable of this short of a landing. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the old Picayune, MS airport (maybe Ron, Gary, Harold?), but there were a few times I was able to make the taxiway after landing on 23 without getting on the brakes too hard (runway is very flat from one end to the other). I seem to remember it was in the neighborhood of 400 - 500 ft. Of course, I had to have things all fall just right: solo, light on fuel, full flaps, 50-55 indicated, dump the flaps on touchdown, AND ignore the displaced threshold (at least once it was with the mains on pavement and tailwheel in the grass). Bruce gets full bragging rights though, as he can prove it and I can't! :cry:

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
jon s blocker

short landings

Post by jon s blocker »

Great landing Bruce! Another one of our members, Bill Rusk, is VERY good at short landings, and take offs. Bill has consistently beaten the SuperCubs at their short landing contests this year. Maybe he could give a few pointers also. Recently Bill took first and second at a short landing contest! He won the contest in a borrowed Cub, then got second in his 170! Jon