HURRICANE EVACUEES

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Maybe Texas will finally have a chance to beat OU. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Hurricane Evacuees

Post by 170C »

I bet these folks are nationwide by now. Becky said there were several new evaucee students in one of the classes at North Crowley HS this week .
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yeah. Wherever I had relatives or friends is where I'd probably head should I be completely wiped out like that. AR Dave might have me as a neighbor. :twisted:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

From one of our own, George Courtney (aka GB) , NH TIC170A state rep., (who has property and normally spends his winters in the So. LA area, when he's not working in NH) comes an email I thought I'd share. (Hope you don't mind, GB):

This was sent to me by a friend and thought you all might like to read it.
Sorry if I have not written to all of you personally yet.
I have been doing tree work and clean up for nine days straight.
I have had electricity for several days now and that means air conditioning.
Helps tremendously in trying to rest and sleep. Gas and communications getting better.
Hammond airport crowded with Hueys, Blackhawks, Jet Rangers, Dalphines, Chinooks,
CH-53's, and even an old H-34 with turbine conversion.
Various airplanes too which includes two DC-3's. Even have seen C-130's aerial
refueling Blackhawks to save time so they can get back into New Orleans.
Obviously, stirs my soul to see all these aircraft. I have not had a chance to get
down to Patterson, LA, to fly my airplane. They tell me it made it through the
winds they had there ok. That is about 12 miles west of Morgan City. Not sure I
could get there now as I used to take I-10 and I-310 down just by N.O. airport to go
there. If I get a chance I will try and find another way maybe through Baton Rouge.
I sure need to fly. My therapy as most of you know.
We have extensive tree damage right here locally and quite a bit of structure
damage, non to mom's, too. But NOTHING compared to what is east of here and along
the Gulf Coast. I know of three people personally that had their homes and
everything in them gone. GONE.
One of them, obviously well to do, had three homes. One in New Orleans which is
still under water, one in Gulfport which is gone, and one in Lacombe, LA, with three
trees on it. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "Hey, what can you do?"
It is the ones that had little and lost all that we need to pray for the most.
I had two guys from a shelter here yesterday helping me clean up mom's yard. They
are really good people, one black and one white, hard workers but neither really
accustomed to labor type work nor being in the sun all day. But, we got allot done.
About a quarter of the yard cleaned up but did not get any of the big stuff moved.
I will need a piece of equipment to move parts of the larger trees down. I gave
them each $60 for a little less than 6 hours of work. You should have seen their
eyes and looks of appreciation. Cash is hard to come by but banks are starting to
open. Long lines. Those in shelters probably do not have bank accounts.
I am headed over to Lacombe this morning. We try to start early before the heat
gets too bad. Helping a friend to cut up the big stuff in his yard. We were
classmates in college and he is probably the best friend I have down here. Under
normal conditions he and I and a couple of other college classmates get together at
local bar and play pool and drink beer. One of the other ones is who (or whom) I
have been helping the most. He had four trees on his house down on the river with
quite a bit of structural damage.
Took us three days to get everything off of his house and garage using my ropes and
pulleys.
Didn't mean to talk so much but thought you might like to get a "feel" for how
things are going down here.
New Orleans is a whole different world. Sure you are seeing it on TV. We don't
have TV yet but people are telling me about it.
Ok, got to go. Best to you all and again, sorry for the mass mailing.
gb
ron74887

Pics of area

Post by ron74887 »

Hey yall want to see what the distruction is really like look up this one and then click on 350 areial images Then just pick a square in either state and them pick another square of that area if you are familiar with the area of the state. pics have beem updated since the storm.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2495.htm Ron massicot
President 86-88
53 C170-B N74887, people choice 2003, Best original B 2007
46 7BCM champ N2843E Rebuilding stage
Cajun Connection way down south, most of you are yankees to me!
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Gary, very glad you're OK and helping your fellow man -
Warm regards and tailwinds,
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
flyguy

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Post by flyguy »

HERE WE GO AGAIN! GEORGE POSTED INFORMATION FOR THOSE IN HARMS WAY FROM "RITA" IN THE "STICKY" . I PUT ONE THERE BUT WILL POST ANOTHER MESSAGE HERE ALSO.

THIS IS TO ADVISE THAT OUR HOME STRIP HERE ON TOLEDO BEND (ALSO 3R4 MANY LOUISIANA) IS AVAILABLE FOR SHELTERING SOME EVACUEES AND THEIR PLANES. FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO FLY THEIR PLANES OUT BEFORE THE STORM HITS,LOOK ME UP IN THE DIRECTORY AND GIVE ME A CALL. WE MAY BE ABLE TO FIND LOCAL LODGING BUT THINGS ARE FILLING UP SO DONT WAIT TOO LONG.

GARY HANSON #1397
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
flyguy

survivers

Post by flyguy »

WELL RITA (THE NASTY LIL B---H) HAS COME AND GONE. WE SURVIVED WITH VERY LITTLE DAMAGE HERE IN WESTERN PART OF THE STATE. MANY OF THOSE SOUTH OF US NEAR LAKE CHARLES, CAMERON AND HOLLY BEACH DID NOT FARE WELL AT ALL. NOR DID OUR NEIGHBORS IN EAST TEXAS. THE EYE WENT ABOUT 65 MILES WEST OF US AND DID LOTS OF DAMAGE IN THE EASTERN BORDER TOWNS OF TEXAS. FROM BEAUMONT TO LONGVIEW, FOLKS SUFFERED MUCH MORE SEVERE WIND DAMAGE THAN WE EXPERIENCED. WE JUST GOT OUR ELECTRIC POWER BACK HERE IN SABINE PARISH LAST NIGHT SO IT WAS QUIETER AS ALL THOSE EMERGENCY GENERATORS WERE SHUT DOWN AND PUT AWAY.

WE FOUND WAYS TO COPE WITH THE INCONVENIENCE OF LACK OF ELECTRICAL SERVICE. WE ARE SHELTERING, FEEDING AND CARRYING BOTTLED WATER AND ICE TO MANY OF THOSE IN SHELTERS AND CAMPS AROUND THE LAKE. MANY ARE STILL WITHOUT POWER AND ARE SO GRATEFUL WHEN THE PICKUP LOADS OF ICE AND WATER COME THROUGH THEIR ISOLATED COMMUNITIES. I WISH I HAD ONE OF THOSE LITTLE "ICE-CREAM" BUGGIES THAT DROVE THROUGH THE NEIGHBORHOODS WHEN I WAS A KID. AS THEY DROVE ROUND PLAYING THE "CALIOPIE" OR MERRY GO ROUND MUSIC WE WOULD RUN TO THE FENCE TO MAKE SURE HE WOULD STOP AT OUR CORNER.

WE ARE ALRIGHT AND THANKFUL FOR THE THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS OF ALL OF YOU.

DUTY CALLS SO SO LONG FOR NOW.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!