Parts auction

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jr.CubBuilder

Parts auction

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I just noticed this auction on barnstormers, and they have a bunch of C170 parts listed. I don't know anything about them, but somebody in the Oregon area might be interested.
http://www.starmanauctions.com/Brochure ... Oregon.pdf
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

The link doesn't work for some reason, but from the looks of the url (...Redmond... Oregon..) it's probably related to Specialty Aircraft. As mentioned on another thread, they are a salvage yard that's going out of the parts end of the business. They helped me out a bunch of times. Good people. Real shame they are hanging it up.
Doug
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

The linked worked this time... Yup, it's Specialty Aircraft alright. Anybody got some spare cash? :roll:
Doug
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

The link worked for me. The photos show several rows of fairly complete fuselages. I didn't see any that I recognized as C-170 but the text claims that there are ragwing and A-model fuselages available. There were piles and piles of other salvage also.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Yeah, I just printed the flyer. If you read through it you'll find bunches of C170 stuff. Fuselages, wings, control surfaces, cowls, landing gear, doors, O-300A engine cores and sumps and Accessory cases, and numerous other parts. Man this is killing me. It's like watching some landmark get torn down knowing there's nothing you can do about it.
Doug
n3437d

Aution

Post by n3437d »

Just a thought and I know that this has been brought up before. Just wouldn't it be nice if the Association could aquire some of the more "needed parts" and make them available to the members. I know "radical thinking" :twisted:
Visitors are more than welcome. Stop by and say hello.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I'm with ya on that one, but the Association's position is not to buy parts :( We're missing a golden opportunity here. I'm sure they'll be bought up by other salvage yards, but this is a chance to get parts for less than what the salvage yard would charge us. I paid $600 for a servicable O-300 oil sump five years ago, can't imagine what it would cost today. These guys have "several" O-300 sumps I bet you get for a lot less than that per sump if you bought the lot. Same idea for all the other parts. I needed new rudder pedals last year. Thank God my mechanic had some out back - Cessna wanted $500 PER PEDAL!

I know I'm beating a dead horse (I'm good at that :lol: ), but I really think the Association should have a parts inventory, particularly for stuff that is no longer made. These planes are 50+ years old and a lot of the parts simply aren't made anymore and those that are are exorbitantly priced. What are us "younger guys" going to do 10 or 20 years from now when even less parts are available new? At this rate maintaining or restoring a 170 will become cost prohibitive.

As time goes on I think the Association should get more on the "preservation wagon" and physically help keep the fleet in the air (parts) - after all, if not us then who? :cry:
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

OK, Guys. I hear you.

A. Which of you want to go to the auction and make the bids for the Association? Of course, you'll have to guarantee that you'll not be buying any 1-unairworthy parts 2- bogus parts 3- parts for more than they're worth. You'll also have to guarantee all the membership that you're not in this to make a buck for yourself, and you'll need to provide a Bond to TIC170A.

B. Who wants to store the parts? And identify them? (with correct total in-service times, of course.) And inventory them? And insure them? Speak up. We'll need to know all the volunteers so we can sort thru all the names.

C. Who of you wishes to avoid all the above, and simply increase your dues so as to pay for a full time parts guy? And the warehousing, insurance, etc.?

D. Who of you will promise not to complain of the price of said parts when (if ever) you decide you need one of them?

E. Who is also willing to accept automatic dues increases to indemnify officers, directors, appointees, and the association from law suits subsequent to the sale of said parts? Forever, of course. Lifetime memberships will be required.

One more time, ....Who is going to go pick the parts up, clean them, I.D. them, transport them home, and insure and store them?

Sorry to be so blunt. But this is not the simple thing many seem to think it is. :wink:

One of the problems with the Starman type aucitons is the Lots that they place them in. Unless you NEED all or most of the items in the Lot number you are bidding on, you are going to be owning a lot of unwanted junk if you win the bid.
Keep in mind...theres a REASON that some folks go out of business other than the fact that they're just tired. If the original owner could easily get a reasonable price for the inventory then do you think they'd be going thru a bankruptcy auctioneer? What's being offered is usually the left-overs and junk, and you'd better be pretty good at what you're doing if you're gonna make any real deals and not get scalped at these auctions. You'll be bidding against the sharpest of the industry if anything there is really valuable.
And when you finally walk away from the pay-box with the dusty part in hand.....it's all yours. No warranty. No returns. It's usually better to buy a certified airworthy part from a reputable supplier if all you want is a part or two.
Last edited by GAHorn on Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

I was thinking about going over to see if I could get some cowl or airbox parts for my 52 since my top cowl is kind of beat up. If that pans out and I'm there I could look at/toss in a bid for something, provided it's not to large.

Oh scratch that, I didn't realize you had to buy the whole lot.
Last edited by Jr.CubBuilder on Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

George,

I never said this would be simple or easy. But if other groups like the Luscombe or Swift guys can do it, then I'm sure we could find a way to make it work for us. I don't think we have one person who can handle all the required tasks, but if the Association was serious about keeping an inventory we could probably come up with a team (3-6 people maybe?) who could handle the various tasks - 1 or 2 A&P/IA to assess the parts, someone to inventory & store them, someone to handle the "sales" piece, etc. I know I'd be willing to volunteer for some of that work.

As for indemnity, I'm sure there are ways to handle this as well. Besides, how do the salvage yards do it? They sell you a part and it's up to you and your A&P to determine airworthiness. If I buy something from a salvage yard that fails in flight, it's not their problem. If it was then I imagine that the legal/insurance issues would cause them to drive their parts prices way past what they are now and up into the same realm as Cessna.

You're right about the "lot" thing. Starman is selling "control surfaces", not "170 control surfaces", so you get everything form 170s to 210s. The thing is, the time to have gone after the 170 parts was 3-4 weeks ago when Specialty was still in business. I talked to the guys out there and I'll bet we could have worked a deal on 170 parts alone before the auctioneer got involved and done pretty good.

And as for "It's usually better to buy a certified airworthy part from a reputable supplier if all you want is a part or two."... well, you can't always do that. That's why there are salvage yards in the first place. They are not certifying anything, but there are times when they are the only game in town.

I never said this would be easy, but I DO believe it CAN be done if we (TIC170A) really wanted to do it. With proper planning and research I believe we could address the legal and liability issues and still provide hard to find parts to our membership at a "reasonable" price.
Doug
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

I can understand both points of view (collecting parts, vs the
headache of doing same). Like someone said, the Swift
guys do it (I forget who else).

Having been to one of these Starman Bros. auctions, I concur
that you better know what you're doing + what your
after, as the place will be crawling with Wentworth guys (et al)
who know what the heck they're doing!

On the flip side (and I saw this repeatedly), the Starman guys
would try to sell lot parts piecemeal. For instance, there was a stack
of early C-180/182 vertical fins that they tried to sell one at a time.
One guy bought one for $100, another for, say, $75 and then nobody
else would bid on the remaining 10+ fins (one at a time). Them Starman
guys would run out of patience real quick and then they'd say "OK Boys,
yer buyin' 'em all" (the rest of the fins). That's when the Wentworth et al
guys would waltz in and take a whole stack of fins home for $300 bucks.
or whatever.

Anyway...

I also agree that the time to snag any of the 170 stuff was right before
they called Starman Bros....

I might show up for the auction anyway (once a sucker, always
a sucker!).
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

southey wrote:Tool that lets you scan for open proxies including HTTP and Socks proxies.

http://www.(non-relevant-link).com
Please explain to this computer challenged old timer what this does/means??
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

It is a link to an advertisement for computer software that I think (hope)was post here in error. I have disregarded it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

everybody,
in the pision i'm in i feel :cry: that the parts i have and have had would help the 170 coumity but from a legal perspective i have made many parts worth 80 cents per pound when you want the orginaision to go out and purchase parts for all of us you cant imagin what legal terain that the club would be truging into its up to us to keep the club out of trouble and if we have a place to find or parts ourselves we should help eachothother,
brad
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Brad, ... it's time for your medication again. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)