plastic fairings

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jon s blocker

plastic fairings

Post by jon s blocker »

Recently I read somewhere about someone making plastic fairings for the lift strut to wing, and lift strut to fuselage, but I can't remember where I saw it advertised. Does anyone know where I can get those items , (specifically made for a 170B model)? Any help is appreciated. Jon Blocker
170C

Strut Cuffs

Post by 170C »

Jon, last year I purchased the 4 cuffs from Stene Aviation, Inc (406-883-6244) for $60 each ($240 less 10% C-170 Assn discount = $216 and $18 shipping). These were for a '56 C-172, but should be the same (IMHO) for a 170. You could check with them. These are fiberglass, not plastic. Supposed to be superior since plastic tends to crack with age and is difficult to repair while fiberglass is more durable and can be fairly easily repaired, if damaged, by someone familiar with working with fiberglass. They come in a primed gray color and can then be painted to match your plane. They are one piece units so there are no seams to crack or have to have screws holding them together. It does require the lift strut to be temporarily disconnected from the wing or fugelage to install. Mine were put on with rivnuts instead of just metal screws. There is a trick to getting the tie down ring put back on which I will share with you at another time if you need my help.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The Steene cuffs are the way to go.
However----Make sure you do not have the early "B" model struts with the High Lock Rivets attaching the end fittings. The cuffs will not fit over the rivets. Later struts have flush rivets and are the way to go. I had to change mine on my '52 model.
BL
trake

Post by trake »

Is there any noticeable speed increase with those things? Or brake fairings? Are they worth the bother and expense?
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Having recently removed mine I'd say NO.

Now before someone say's they do let me say that at least in theory I'd think they would make a difference. Just so small that unless you are adding them as part of a larger friction reduction/speed enhancement package where you have reduced or eliminated every other source, the gain is neglegable.

I think they are an extra pain at annual. They do crack and deteriorate over time. You must put holes in the skin of both the wing and the fuselage in order to attach them in some fashion.

If I didn't have them on my plane I might think they are neat but having had them I wish my plane never did. Dispite all the holes that are now in my wing and fuselage and the fact the aircraft was not painted under them, they will not be going back on my plane.

(Of course my plane hasn't had a headliner for 3 years and that installation isn't in the near future either so take this post for what it's worth :D )
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In theory they smooth out airflow around the strut ends, and smoother airflow equates to less drag in engineering models. That means Cessna could make a small "improvement" in appearances when they were trying to think up something else to do to this airplane as the design matured into the Skyhawk. Cessna marketing, never to let an opportunity escape, trumpeted the speed gains. The huge, unnoticeable speed gains.
(I don't think my original wheel fairings do anything for speed either. But I like the way they look so I keep 'em on the airplane. They also keep mud and rainpuddles from being tossed up onto my lower wing and stones off my tail.) They're original to the design, expensive, and rare, however, so I usually only get negative comments from those that are secretly jealous who call them "wheel panties". That originality is part of what makes the 170 interesting to me. It's an obsolete old bird that looks good in these modern airways. I'd no sooner put strut cuffs on her than I'd put a 2005 paint scheme or droop wing tips, or change out the tail feathers on her to something square or swept. It's that "look" that I appreciate.
On the other hand, it certainly didn't prevent me from installing rear pax reading lights. I just made certain to use the same Grimes "torpedo" lights as Cessna put on the front doorposts and the same type switches. They look like they've always been there.
I guess if they look good to you, you might just have to have them. But don't expect to save any money whatsoever. Not only will they make no noticeable speed difference, they'll cost you to install, cost you every year as they add time to the annual inspection, cost you when they crack, and cost you to replace or toss. IMHO
If your rubber strut seals are missing, it may be that the unfinished look is eating at you. Black, rubber, "U"-channel is available cheap from Spruce, and can be easily slipped onto the ends of the struts to give it the finished look that was original.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Well said George. After painting my plane last year and installing the wheel pants that sat in my garage for five years, I can say with confidence that I gained virtually NOTHING in the speed department - despite Cessna's claims to the contrary. It sure looks good, but it's no faster than before (not that I expected it to be).
Doug
JJH55

Post by JJH55 »

Ah yes but it does make it "look" faster on the ground. You guys should know by now...Wheel fairings, strut cuffs and such don't do anything significant to increased speed.... You want speed? All you really have to do is go out and get yourself some green paint! :D
JJH55
jon s blocker

fairings

Post by jon s blocker »

Thanks for all the info and input guys. I'm really just trying to smooth the lines out a bit. I realize you don't gain much speed with these but it "smoothes out the rough edges". Don't know if I'll get them but I wanted to look at a set anyway. I don't have any intention of trying to keep this plane like it came out of the factory. As for the wheel pants, I like them. They just don't fit over my big tires. As far as I'm concerned, making each airplane individual is what it is all about. It doesn't have to be radically different , just individual. Again thanks for the feedback! Jon
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Good on you ! I'm not into originality either. I think strut cuffs give it a neat, finished look. My baggage door isn't original either, but it sure makes it a lot nicer to load.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Men marry women hoping (against the odds) they'll never change.
Dick, you'd have made a great woman. They marry men then immediately set about trying to change them. :lol:
(The follow-up question being addressed was: "Is there any noticeable speed increase with those things? Or brake fairings? Are they worth the bother and expense?") Answers (with regard to speed improvements): No. No. And, No.
As for looks: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
n3410c

Post by n3410c »

Nice to hear you were happy with our parts (Stene Aviation). We are always happy to help out fellow members.
n2582d

Vortelator

Post by n2582d »

Here's what y'all have been waiting for to increase the speed of that sluggard. Seriously, anybody tried this? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... elator.php
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... or_kit.php
Gary
GAHorn

Re: plastic fairings

Post by GAHorn »

No, I've never smeared oil on my struts. I've always put most of it on the belly. :lol:
blueldr

Re: plastic fairings

Post by blueldr »

Between this "Vortelator" and AR Daves "Mason Jar Full of Water supercharger" it will be extremely difficult to keep a C-170 under the 250 knot air speed restriction below the limiting altitude.
BL