Firewall Putty

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Firewall Putty

Post by 170C »

George you are correct and I agree regarding the JB Weld. I mispoke. :oops: What I mean (or should have said) was that JBW could be used to fill screw or bolt holes left in the firewall after some item had been removed from either the engine side or cabin side of the firewall such as an old power supply, etc. True, those passages where wiring, tach cables, etc pass through the firewall DO need to be a substance that is & will remain pliable, heat resistant and solvent resistent. JBW may not be good for the holes I mentioned, but it sure cures hard, but I don't know its compatability with the firewall material. Thanks for the correction.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I'm using hi-temp RTV, orange in color. We use it at work under the cowlings close to the hot section.Stands up well.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I see your point, Frank.
Another good method (one I prefer) to fill holes vacated by screws, etc....is simply install a screw, bolt, etc. Sometimes a large fender-type washer or countersunk washer held by an MS screw or bolt can fill old vacated holes, and I consider them much more attractive than fillers.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)