Fun trip...

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jrenwick

Fun trip...

Post by jrenwick »

I've been making plans to fly from Minneapolis to Anchorage two weeks from now, but my 170 with three of us aboard doesn't have enough useful load to carry the required survival gear. So I had to think about where else we could go with less baggage, for 17 days -- kind of a nice problem to have. :) We've decided we'll fly to Duluth, MN, and follow the Saint Lawrence Seaway out to the Atlantic, returning to Minnesota by July 10th. (Stopping in at the 170 Convention isn't possible, because we all have to be somewhere else on the 11th.)

We'll fly along the southern shore of Lake Superior, stop at Madeline Island, Mackinac Island, enter Canada at Sault Ste Marie, fly over Drummond Island and Manitoulin Island down into southwestern Ontario, visit friends in the Toronto and Peterborough areas, Prince Edward County, then to Montreal, Quebec, Gaspe Peninsula, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and then return via northern New England, upstate New York (finger lakes), Niagara Falls, and the southern shore of Lake Erie.

So I'm asking this group: are there any particular destinations or airfields near that route that we should be sure not to miss? All suggestions welcome!

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Have a great trip, John !
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
cessna170bdriver

Re: Fun trip...

Post by cessna170bdriver »

jrenwick wrote:I've been making plans to fly from Minneapolis to Anchorage two weeks from now, but my 170 with three of us aboard doesn't have enough useful load to carry the required survival gear.
John
John, It sounds like at least one of your group needs to start looking for another 170! :wink: It's a challenge to pack a 170 for Alaska even with only two people.

The only places along your route I've ever been are Macinac and Manitoulin Islands, so I don't have much extra to offer, but don't forget your 170 Association directory and check out those "H" listings along the way.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

John, I can understand you coming to your senses and deciding to leave the cub at home and fly the 170 for your cross country adventure, but I'm guessing that it means your cub will have to wait another year before you can check off "Alaska" as one of the states it's visited?

Sounds like a fun trip. Wish I could go. If I only had more vacation time, fewer committments, less work, more money, more.........oh well. :(
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:John, I can understand you coming to your senses and deciding to leave the cub at home and fly the 170 for your cross country adventure, but I'm guessing that it means your cub will have to wait another year before you can check off "Alaska" as one of the states it's visited?
No, actually, we went there with the J3 two years ago, and I still want to go back -- just not in the Cub! :lol:

I wrote a story about the trip, at http://www.eaa54.org/Newsletters/54News ... er2003.pdf

Best Regards,

John
N73087

Post by N73087 »

Off the SW coast of Newfoundland is the island of St. Pierre. It is French territory. I have been there by ferry boat, and want to fly there some day. How many people can say that they have flown a Cessna 170 to France?
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

N73087 wrote:Off the SW coast of Newfoundland is the island of St. Pierre. It is French territory. I have been there by ferry boat, and want to fly there some day. How many people can say that they have flown a Cessna 170 to France?
Yes, I looked at that, but it's either way more water than I want to fly over, or too long a trip through Quebec to get to Newfoundland.

Besides, I don't see an airfield there: http://snipurl.com/fhlv -- do you? :)

Best Regards,

John
N170CT

Post by N170CT »

John,

Canada has an outstanding appreciation for aviation and is populated by exceptionally nice people.

For openers, you might want to consider landing at Rockcliffe in Ottawa.
Fine uncontrolled airport with an outstanding aviation museum on field. I flew from there for several years. If you like fairly basic wilderness, the Killarney Resort is great and they have their own runway about half a mile from the resort. Buzz the resort and they will send a car though it is not a difficult walk.
Quebec City (the only walled city in North America) has some of the finest restaurants in the world and an absolutely fascinating history. (Spouse & I just bought a house there for retirement.) Be sure to go there with an appetite. Gaspe is at the opening of the St. Lawrence River and a lovely location to visit. Actually, there are many interesting places to visit along the St. Lawrence on both North and South shores. If you can get there, St. Jean por Joli (south shore, east of Quebec City approx. 30 miles) is populated by artisans in wood carvings and other materials.
And I cannot recommend Nova Scotia enough. Beautiful shore lines and a laid back culture. Many hidden harbors and coves along a very rustic coast. Lunengren is a very nice city in Nova Scotia with a beautiful harbor and the "Bluenose" schooner. Sounds like a great trip to me. Enjoy, Chuck
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the excellent suggestions! I'll look 'em up and research further. You're definitely right about flying in Canada -- I found it so two years ago when we flew the Alaska Highway. Great people everywhere!

Best Regards,

John
jatkins

fun Trip

Post by jatkins »

Hi John ,
I would suggest you go to Charlevoix ( CYML ) it is on the north shore of the St.Lawerance River East of Quebec City , I think this areas is one of the best kept secrets in Canada. There is a very nice Hotel ( Fairmount )
but pricey , also lost of bed and breakfast in the area. Have fun , and good luck !!

John
jrenwick

Re: fun Trip

Post by jrenwick »

jatkins wrote:I would suggest you go to Charlevoix ( CYML ) it is on the north shore of the St.Lawerance River East of Quebec City , I think this areas is one of the best kept secrets in Canada.
Great suggestion, thanks! Is it also worth a stop at Ile Aux Coudres?

Best Regards,

John
N73087

Post by N73087 »

Yes, I looked at that, but it's either way more water than I want to fly over, or too long a trip through Quebec to get to Newfoundland.

Besides, I don't see an airfield there:

There is an international airport there. A friend of mine flies his Mooney across the atlantic. He goes from Florida to St. Pierre and clears customs. From St. Pierre to Paris is then a "domestic" flight.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Yep! You're right; I missed the airport at St. Pierre because I was looking for it on Miquelon. Still, I'm too chicken to take my 170 across that much cold water, but maybe we could go there via ferry to Newfoundland if there's time. I have friends with a cabin in NF, so we have more than one reason to do that.

Thanks for the tip!

Best Regards,

John
jatkins

fun Trip

Post by jatkins »

WOW ,
LFVP ( St Pierre )- LFPB ( Paris ) is 2306 nautical mile !! in a Mooney non stop ??