Hello

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

KMac

Hello

Post by KMac »

Hi,
I am one of your stealth readers. I have been reading this forum for a while. I started before I bought my 170 and finally joined the 170 association. :D A couple of reasons I finally joined; When I was going through my annual this year my mechanic said I needed a stall warning horn. I e-mailed George Horn (because he advertised one for sale) and he helped me out even though I wasn't a member yet. I really appreciated that. Secondly, I am impressed with the passion for the 170 that you all have and all the great information you post on this site. I decided to finally part with my $35!

Thank you all!

Are any of you familiar with my plane? (N9222A) She was in Washington when I bought her. Bela's 170 has a very similar paint scheme - I wonder if he knew the previous owner? If you have any stories I would love to read them.
Thanks again - you helped me to be a 170 owner. :D :P

Kevin
Last edited by KMac on Tue May 17, 2005 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Yes I'm very familiar with the plane. It belonged to a good friend of mine who died just before you bought it. As a funny note, one time we were in Idaho sitting under the wings drinking beer and some how got on the subject of "N" numbers. I was sitting on one side of the plane and Jim was on the other side. When he said something about "9222A", I looked over and noticed that it read "9922A" on my side. This was the first time that anyone had noticed the mistake (it was re-painted since then).

Joe Moilanen
4518C
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Joe Moilanen wrote:Yes I'm very familiar with the plane. It belonged to a good friend of mine who died just before you bought it. As a funny note, one time we were in Idaho sitting under the wings drinking beer and some how got on the subject of "N" numbers. I was sitting on one side of the plane and Jim was on the other side. When he said something about "9222A", I looked over and noticed that it read "9922A" on my side. This was the first time that anyone had noticed the mistake (it was re-painted since then).

Joe Moilanen
4518C
I've never read anything more discouraging in my entire life. I can't immagine flying a beautiful airplane like a 170 up into a beautiful place like Idaho, sitting under the wing drinking BEER, and then talking about "N numbers". Haven't you guys ever heard about
girls? Who in hell ever heard of drinking beer and talking about N numbers? Really wierd!!!
BL
JTS

Post by JTS »

Actually BL, if you read Kevin's post, he was asking for any stories associated with his airplane previous to him owning it. Pardon me if in fact you were being facetious.
Jody
'52 170B CF-FDH Ser# 20841
KMac

Post by KMac »

Thanks Joe. I had heard about the N number mistake - I think from the guy who helped the family sell the plane to me. Its too bad I didn't get to meet Jim. Everyone I talked to really liked him. Its interesting to think of all the places the plane has been. I've been taking good care of her. I can understand why you wouldn't have been talking about other women in front of her - she seems to get jealous of other women. The only time I've had things break on me was when my wife was flying with me. Beer is good!
JTS

Post by JTS »

Welcome Kevin, IMO the $35 spent on membership is the best aviation oriented $35 you could spend on yourself, while helping to support this GREAT association. Cheers
Jody
'52 170B CF-FDH Ser# 20841
KMac

Post by KMac »

Thank you Jody. I agree with you. I have learned so much from this association the least I can do is support it.
dacker

Post by dacker »

I don't know about you guys, but I am going to go check my N numbers today! :)
David
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey, Dave! You think Bruce maybe should check HIS numbers? :wink: (There are so many possibilities, lessee now,...upper rt wing, lower left, right vertical stab, ..left vertical,... right fuselage,...left...) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
KMac

Post by KMac »

After reading my original post, I wanted to clarify that I actually didn't buy anything from George. He sent me information that showed the stall warning horn my mechanic wanted to install actually was not required equipment on my 170A.

What really impressed me was that George was not as concerned with whether I was a member of the association or not, or concerned about selling me something, but was concerned about helping a fellow 170 enthusiast. That was one of the points that motivated me to support the association.
Thanks again! :D
flyguy

IMA FER BLU ELDER

Post by flyguy »

HEY IMMA GONNA BE PASTIN SUM WORDS HYEAR CAUSE I CANT BE SURE IFFN I'D DO IT RITE "Pardon me if in fact you were being facetious." WALL YEH THAS WHUT IMMA GONNA BE OLE "JTS"! WE SUMPTIMES JAB FUN AN SPRAY INSULTS (IN GOOD SPIRITS) AT EACH OTHER.

BLUE ELDER SED IT PURTY RITE EXCEP FER USALLY IF I DRINK SUM BEER IT AINT ROUN PLANES SO I AIN'T THINKIN MUCH BOUT "N" NUMMERS ER EENY UTHER NUMMERS SEPT 6 AS IN 6 PACK ER TWO AS IN B- - - oh oh better stop now!. NOW I DOANT MINE DOIN IT* IN SITE OF SUM PLANES BUT NO WAY I MIXUP FLYIN AN DRINKIN! STIK WITH THU 24 HOUR RULE!

EENY WAY K MAC( KEVIN) GLADJERJINEDUP. **

*ATE LETTERS NOT SEVEN YU DIRDY OLE GUYS ("DRINKING" WUZ "IT")

**FIGGER THAT OUT GAY HORYN
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!