Stupid Pilot Tricks

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doug8082a

Stupid Pilot Tricks

Post by doug8082a »

Every once in a while you see something that that leaves you thinking "I can't believe someone would do that"... Ever been to the mall and seen more people exit a small car than it is designed to carry? Or seen one of those folks driving in busy traffic with their little dog in their lap laying across their arm inhibiting their ability to drive? Try and picture something similar in a plane.

I went to a local flyin breakfast today (weather prevented me from going to the Warwick, NY flyin) and while my friend and I were strolling around a Cherokee 140 landed and taxied by. As he did I looked inside and couldn't believe what I saw and neither could my friend... full seats and two heads in the pilot seat. We waited for it to shut down and watched the people exit. Yup, we were right. Two teenage girls (110 & 125 pounds roughly) and their respective fathers (185 & 200 lbs rougly) AND the "second" pilot... a 2 - 2 1/2 year old boy sitting on Dad's lap, not strapped in, and likely interfering with full travel of the controls. I couldn't believe someone would do that. They might think it's "cool" for the kid to sit in the pilot's seat, but the kid will be the first to die if they ever have an accident. When they left a while later, there were those two heads again in the pilot seat. Gave me the willy's...
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Not excusing careless operations, ...I'm just trying to figure out what possibilities exist other than the apparent....
Some Cherokee 140's were certfied for 4 persons (had a small rear seat for two small pax) ...and children under the age of 2 do not require a dedicated seat or seat belt according to FARs. (Perhaps one of the other pax's were holding the kid except for when he was observed during taxi?)
But you are right....never underestimate the capability of stupidity! :roll:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote:Some Cherokee 140's were certfied for 4 persons (had a small rear seat for two small pax)
Actually George there where very few Cherokees only sold as 2 seaters. All where certified for 4. For some reason this 2 seat thing has stuck in many Cessna drivers brains. The Cherokee has the same load carrying capablity as a 170/172 and more depending on the individual aircraft.

The same act carried out in a Cessna 170/172 would still be stupid.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

The same act carried out in a Cessna 170/172 would still be stupid.
That was my point. I guess I should have been clearer. Thanks Bruce.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In 1971 I flew to Andros Island, Bahamas and while standing around waiting for "Customs" so I could hand them $20 each,... :roll: .. there came taxying in a Mooney Statesman (from the States), with it's tail almost draggin the skid, and when it unloaded it contained two guys, two girlfriends, several pieces of luggage, a tent, an inflatable boat, and...a gas tank and Mercury outboard motor! 8O
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N1277D

Post by N1277D »

For the people that have not been to Idaho and heard this story, perhaps bluedr can add some more. There are quite a few Idaho stories some better than others, each is much better than talking about N numbers while sitting under the wing drinking beer. Here are a couple to start with:

Many years ago up around MooseCreek a packer had a mule get sick on him. This was one of his best pack animals so he had a vet flown in to take a look at it. The vet decided this mule needed to taken into town and have some surgical work done. So they gave the mule a dose of stuff that put it out for the time to get it loaded and back to town. After taking off, gaining some altitude, the mule decided to awake and exercise its right to kick anything in its way. It was beating the sides out of the airplane and the vet, packer and pilot thought for sure that they were all not going to make it. But the trusty Idaho pilot knew what to do, he pulled his 45 from under the seat and shot the mule. After the smoke cleared and everyone's hearing returned they managed to get the plane on the ground.

This story was perhaps mostly true, but this one below happened recently

In LA a corporate pilot got a request to fly some people into Johnson Creek. No one wanted to take the charter, so the chief pilot got stuck with it. He had quite a load of stuff, 4 people and lots of luggage and they were demanding. So they got their turbine Aero Commander ready and filed to Johnson Creek, yep IFR flight plan and everything. Johnson Creek is located in a narrow canyon, (we have a web cam there http://www.ruralnetwork.net/johnsoncreek ) The approach speeds have to be just right to get in there and stopped, they are much lower than the single engine speed on most twins. The guy got in there hit reverse and slid most of the way to the fence. His passengers got off and went to their guest ranch having no clue, they left the chief pilot there with an ATM card and $20 cash to fend for him self. They were coming back in a few days. So the guys at Johnson Creek (perhaps it was BL) starting telling this corporate pilot about how a huge cat took down a deer off the end of the runway the night before, and lots of other stories. He eventually got a ride into town hoping to find a place to stay, but the locals ended up with all his cash (no ATMs there) and he came back with a bag of chips and beer ready to fend off the critters. He spent the next few hours in terror of what was going to come out of the mountains and haul him off. But once the guest ranch heard about his fate they came and got him and provided him with a place. When they decided to leave the chief pilot did the right thing he got a C206 charter to pick the guests up and he flew the turbine out light; he got his passengers in McCall and headed back to LA. He sure must have had a good story to tell in LA and a very pissed off boss wondering why he chartered a %%% C206.
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

He tells it way better than I do, but a friend of mine used to
fly for a living in that area (206s I believe). One day, his
"passenger" was a live Lama. Nice enough animal.... They
ended up tying the Lama's feet to the floor boards, but his neck was
so long, his hairy head ended up between the front seats.

The flight went well, and the Lama seemed to enjoy it, actually
looking out the windows as they flew along.

I forget where he was going, but upon turning final into whatever
"fun" strip he was taking the Lama to, the damned thing turned
it's head towards him and gave him a nice big lick on the face!
Big enough to knock his glasses off his head...

So now he can't see very well, has Lama juice all over his face,
and he needs to land this thing on a typical postage-stamp-sized strip
in the Idaho back-country! Guess you'd have to hear him tell
it in person, but it usually has us all spilling our beers, laughing
so hard....

All ended well (he's still with us). Don't know about the Lama....
Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-180
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Actually the "N" number disscusion was a good example of the boring life that I lead during the summer months flying around the Idaho backcountry. Sometimes there's just nothing interesting to do except sit around and drink all the beer to lighten the load for departure to the next boring strip in the morning. Then you have to start all over again and start running out of exciting stories. After enough beer, sometimes you can resort to telling the same stories over and nobody will notice or remember.

Joe Moilanen
4518C
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

MAN Ol MAN that sounds like fun! We sit around down here in the flat country just dreaming of being able to fly up there for a couple of weeks!

20, 30, or 40 so years ago I use to wonder why Grandpa told me the same jokes and stories over and over again. Now I kinda know, it gets really exciting to just remember something so out it comes.

Those are great stories even without the beer and backcountry surrounding. Can't quit laughing about the Lama juice, that's just too funny.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

A good friend of my Dad's tells a story of his earlier days of flying:

The day's mission involved moving a calf from point A to point B. He spread a bit of straw in the back of the airplane and easily led the calf in and tied him off. The calf curled up on the straw and went to sleep.

All went well until about 20 minutes into the flight when some turbulence was encountered. Well, the calf took exception to being awakened from his nap and proceeded to try to escape by tugging at his halter and kicking the h__ out of the airplane.

About this point in the story most people ask, "What did you do then?", to which he replied: "He wanted out..... I let him."
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
KMac

Post by KMac »

The story of sitting under the wing drinking a beer sounds good to me. How relaxing could that be? (my plane might still have two different numbers if they hadn't done that). As long as you don't try the stupid pilot trick of flying after you've had a few beers. I hear the trout fishing is good in Idaho.
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

This one's not stupid, but reading these posts reminded me of this.

I was a young kid - 12 years of age. My father and his buddies always flew to Canada in the summer to go fishing. One of his hunting/fishing buddies had a Sea Bee.

Well I'd finally grown to the age when I could go with "the guys" on my first fishing trip.

My Dad's buddy - Jerry - the Sea Bee owner was a cigar smoking fool.

To keep minnows alive, the bait stores would put one dozen minnows in a small plastic bag and then shoot oxygen into the bag. That way you could also travel easily with them in the airplane.

Well I'm in the back seat while we're flying in to a drop camp lake - greatly enjoying it all. Jerry's sitting up front in the co-pilot seat. He's got a flat beer case card board box sitting on his lap filled with 8-10 bags of minnows. It starts to get a bit rough and about the time Jerry starts complaining a bunch of cigar ashes fall onto the bags. I didn't hear the bags pop, but I did hear him start swearing. He's got a lap full of water. Minnows starting to sqirm all around - on his lap, in the seat, on the floor.

Me, I'm just giggling like a little kid in the back.

We never did get to use those minnows. But I'll always remember them.
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

KMac wrote:The story of sitting under the wing drinking a beer sounds good to me. How relaxing could that be? (my plane might still have two different numbers if they hadn't done that). As long as you don't try the stupid pilot trick of flying after you've had a few beers. I hear the trout fishing is good in Idaho.
The trout fishing IS good in Idaho. It's the trout eating that sucks!
(Practically all stream fishing is "catch and release" only.) However, if you can fish in a lake, they're keepers.
BL
flyguy

PIG IN A PLANE

Post by flyguy »

A friend lived close to the little airport on Lake of the Ozarks called Ivy Bend. It did actually have a little "bend" in the runway and you landed to the north (uphill) regardless of thewind.

We had planned a weekend of cooking, eating water ski-ing etc. I bought a pig from a farmer near my house, had it butchered and wrapped (two halves) in white butcher paper. Took the back seat our of the 170 and flew the wrapped porker to Ivy Bend. My friends weren't at the airport to meet us but some nearby folks strolled up to chat. During the conversation a fellow asked what was "happening". "Oh, I just brought "Mr. pig' down". "Which MR. Pig"? he asked. "The dead one" was my reply. He looked very shocked and said "How did he die?" "Well I guess the guy knocked him in the head then stuck a knife in him". This seemed to really shake him up! I began to realize we weren't on the same page when he asked if I had him in a coffin in the plane. I told him no, that he was just wrapped in paper. He looked in the back window and said "It must be one of the younger ones, he ain't very big is he?" "Well he weighed about 200# before they dressed him out" I said.

The guy then realized I hadn't been talking about his neighbors who just happened to be named "Pigg" He was so relieved that he didn't mind that I was laughing till the tears came to my eyes.

By the way we did drink some BEER while munching on MR PIG!
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

The story about the mule waking up from his in-flight nap is pretty good entertainment, but if it really happened I'm curious what type of aircraft it was in. I have been around horses & mules just enough to know that they're awful big & heavy. I helped haul off & bury a dead mule once & we had to use the loader end of a farm-tractor & some chains to get it in & out of the pickup. Seems like something at least the size of an Otter if not a DC3 would be required. Even if a smaller airplane had the room & the useful load to do the job, it would need an awful big cargo door to get the thing aboard.

Eric