How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
Walker

Post by Walker »

. :?:
Last edited by Walker on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr.CubBuilder

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

That sucks :cry:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I had a friend here in Payson who landed his show quality 195 into the sun one evening and went off the runway and tore out a gearbox.

There was a nieghbor at Stuart Island that tried to land into the sun one evening and hit the tops of some trees on an angled short final because she was blinded suddenly by the sun on the water. She dropped about 50 feet and pancaked it in upright near a ditch. Walked away without a scratched but her Cherokee was totalled.

The sun is nothing to mess with.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
thammer

into the sun

Post by thammer »

I was landing my 140 late one afternoon at Hartford in Wisconsin directly into the sun and everything was fine. Then as I was touching down the RPM's must've hit just the right spot with my eyes and I got a stroboscope affect and couldn't see squat until I looked down for a couple seconds. Then I kinda squinted a lot and looked off to the side a bit to finish the roll out. Quite a startling experience. Never had that happen before.

Tye
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I've heard of a condition called "flicker vertigo" which is supposedly brought about by that strobe effect of the sun behind the propeller.
Never experienced it myself- has anyone ?
Rudy
C-170B N4490B
Plantation Florida
(Based at North Perry Airport,
KHWO, Miramar FL)
dacker

Post by dacker »

Yes, just ask any helicopter pilot who has gone under the hood on a sunny day. If the conditions are just right it will certainly induce vertigo. Nothing like practicing while experiencing the real thing!
David
steve grewing

Post by steve grewing »

In a physics class many years ago, we had an adjustable strobe light. In a darkened room the prof intentionally set the frequency in the range of 1500-1800 flashes per minute. He then asked if anyone had experienced vertigo. The majority of the class had. He explained that when the flash synch's with the frequency at which the brain operates spatial disorientation ensues. The frequency varies with the individual. My first flight instructor commented about the same effect one late afternoon when we were doing touch-and-goes to the west. It can also induce irritability. For example, ever notice when taking an afternoon drive northward along a road lined with trees on the west side that the flicker effect of the shadows is uncomfortable? It is definitely not something to play with.

Steve
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

When I installed my Whelen wingtip strobes (double-flash model) I first set them to triger simultaneously, but I quickly realized that it made me drunk. I then reset them to flash alternately....first one wingtip then the other... and no further problems.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

gahorn wrote:When I installed my Whelen wingtip strobes (double-flash model) I first set them to triger simultaneously, but I quickly realized that it made me drunk. I then reset them to flash alternately....first one wingtip then the other... and no further problems.
Hey George you should set that system up at home for a cheap happy hour :lol:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
mrpibb

Post by mrpibb »

The lights at work must be in that same frequency range, I'm allways irritable there. :wink:
Vic
N2609V
48 Ragwing
A Lanber 2097 12 gauge O/U Sporting
A happy go lucky Ruger Red label 20 ga
12N Aeroflex
Andover NJ
http://www.sandhillaviation.com

" Air is free untill you have to move it" BB.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

gahorn wrote:When I installed my Whelen wingtip strobes (double-flash model) I first set them to triger simultaneously, but I quickly realized that it made me drunk. I then reset them to flash alternately....first one wingtip then the other... and no further problems.
Was this in the clouds, or on the ground at night? Normally, from the cabin I can't even tell if the wingtip strobes are flashing. Drunk or not.

Eric
Walker

Post by Walker »

:?:
Last edited by Walker on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Walker wrote: About the only things I'm missing is all of the rubber channeling to go on all of the appendages. I refuse to buy from Ce$$na because they are the most hateful bunch I have ever encountered when it comes to pricing. I figure they buy a part and add at least one zero to their cost. Anybody have any crossovers?
I ordered a foot of every different style of U-Chanel that Aircraft Spruce carried that looked like it might be useful. There were only 3 or 4 as I recall. I tried them on the various pieces and figured out how much of each I needed and ordered it. I think two sizes covered it all. Sorry, I don't have the part numbers.
jc
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Walker, try http://www.aircraftspruce.com 877-477-7823 who sells most of the black rubber U-channel, or http://www.brownaircraft.com who sells an incredible amount of rubber mouldings of various shapes/sizes.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)