C170B Vacuum Pumps

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

George,

You never give up, do you? :lol:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

:P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
S&G Lynn

Post by S&G Lynn »

George I have the belt driven pump arrangement, and I would like to install a venturi back up on the airplane. What would be a good venturi model and alternate vacuum valve to use in the plane? It will be driving an AH and DG only. Where could I get a valve for this install?

Scott
jrenwick

Standby Vacuum System

Post by jrenwick »

Hi Scott,

Once you've figured out the venturi part, it's probably worth checking out the Standby Vacuum Systems that used to be sold by Precise Flight ( http://www.preciseflight.com ), and are now available from The Vacuum Source ( http://www.thevacsource.com/svs.php ). You can download the installation manuals from their web site for free and see what you think. The question to ask them is whether the SVS could be plumbed into a venturi system instead of the engine intake manifold; what changes to the paperwork would be required, whether it would need a field approval, etc.

Best Regards,

John
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

S&G Lynn wrote:George I have the belt driven pump arrangement, and I would like to install a venturi back up on the airplane. What would be a good venturi model and alternate vacuum valve to use in the plane? It will be driving an AH and DG only. Where could I get a valve for this install?

Scott
Hi, Scott!
Well, it depends upon a couple of factors.
If you want a venturi setup that appears original, then a dual set of 4" venturis PN 15050 ($50 each)from Aircraft Spruce would be the ticket. If, on the other hand, you prefer to install only one, but it must operate more than one gyro, then you should consider their 9" venturi, PN 15052 (also called a super-venturi) priced at $59.
As for installation legalities, that's a horse of a different color. You'll likely need a field approval or one-time STC. If I were to pursue such a mod, I'd consider a 3-way type valve such as an Imperial 108HD-06 such as Aircraft Spruce's PN 210-CN ($23). This is a valve normally used for fuel, but should work just fine on a vacuum system It has Three, 3/8" ports, and will feed vacuum from either side-port to the center port. With the gyros attached to the middle/center port, and the vacuum pump connected to one side, and the venturi(s) connected to the other port, then either pump OR venturi(s) could provide suction.
:idea: Get the STC yourself, and you'll likely be able to sell it to others as a simple backup system. Good luck.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)