Modified flight controls

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Tom

Assuming the finish was completed in an approved method through a decorative coating. Then the decal was added. The decal doesn't degrade the approved covering system and there is no issue aerodynamically. If the decal won't come off and foul a control surface.

What is the issue?

As for the balance of the rudder I get it know thanks to George. Flutter is the reason we balance control surfaces. I knew this but had flushed the info from my brain to fill it with something else. 8O
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Tom, the decal issue seems kinda nit-picky to me. I can't imagine anyone but the most die-hard "we're from the FAA & we're here to screw you" type having a problem with the decal. How about if some bird droppings are on the airplane--does that also render it un-airworthy? Not part of the approved system, ya know. I'm being facetious, but I'm sure you get my drift. It seems like it'd be a problem only if you make it a problem. It's not like they used some latex house paint on top of the Ceconite or something.
You do pose a good question about the gear lash on the GO-300. That must be on the C-175 tied down over there. Perhaps there's something in the series 100 manual on the 175 & it's engine. That 1 inch of play doesn't sound good, but if the only way to properly check tolerances is to pull the gearcase, it's a tough call to make.

Eric
Tom Downey

Post by Tom Downey »

""That 1 inch of play doesn't sound good, but if the only way to properly check tolerances is to pull the gearcase, it's a tough call to make. ""

You bet, If I told you that I thought some thing was out of tolerance on your aircraft and it was going to cost you a bunch of bucks to fix, wouldn't you want to know where I found the limits?

But every one I talk to about it says it is too much, and would not pass it on an annual. But no one knows what the tolerance is or where to find it.

If I take the gear box off the front of Gregs aircraft, I certainly can use the overhaul manual to find the limits for overhauling it,

but, what are the inservice limits?

As for nit-picky on the decals, There is a DC-3 flying the show circuit that has stickers all over it Except the flight controls, the FAA pulled their airworthiness certificate because they had a modified flight control. and made them remove the decals.

The SEA FSDO made Ficel remove his stickers from his PA 28, when he placed it in for Prebuy as part of the sale, he was told it was UN airworthyby Auburn flight service. His weren't even on flight controls.

So I don't know the answer, I guess I call FSDO in the Morning and see what Bill Reichardt has to say about both.

If he ever wants to grab my IA, I sure wouldn't want it to be over some stupid decal.
Tom Downey A&P-IA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This has certainly been an interesting thread/discussion.
I can't imagine why an aircraft would be considered unairworthy if it's fabric refinishing "system" were completed and THEN a decorative decal were attached...provided the balance (if any) of the flight control were unaffected. To further complicate matters by declaring an aircraft unairworthy because a decal were placed upon non-critical surfaces of a fabric aircraft reminds me of the phrase a SAT FSDO INSPECTOR used when he walked up to my friend who runs a 135 operation and said (tongue-in-cheek):
"Hi! I'm from the FAA and we're not happy until you're not happy!" :lol:
Last edited by GAHorn on Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
n4517c

Post by n4517c »

Tom,
I check the backlash in a gear train assembly on a regular basis 12 inches from the shaft centerline. The backlash at the gear pitch line is converted mathematically, by ratio, to a 12 inch arm. In our case, the maximum backlash at 12 inches is 0.125 inches. Your situation may be totally different, but maybe not.