Rosen Sun Visors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Psmith

Rosen Sun Visors

Post by Psmith »

I have a 51 Model A. Does anyone know if the fwd spar carry through came from the factory set up for sun visor attach brackets? I just bought a set of Rosen Visors and their info is not clear in this regard and I have not yet had a chance to inspect the spar carry through.

Pete Smith N1320D
Lewistown, MT
Psmith

Rosen Visors

Post by Psmith »

Sorry guys I did a search on this subject and found the info I needed. The visors are installed and working fine. I am an IA and have some ideas /suggestions for anyone starting down this road.

Pete Smith N1320D
800/326-7700
Gary

Post by Gary »

I would love to hear what you have to say on the Rosen mounting. Please post what you found on mounting the Rosen visors to the spar to share with the forum. Will save you and the forum a lot of PM's and time. Thanks, Gary 1954 170B
Psmith

Rosen Visors Installation

Post by Psmith »

There are several ways to skin a cat but this is what I did and found:

1) As the instructions mention, mounting brackets should be as far outboard as possible. The brackets need to be pointing fwd to get the necessary visors to forehead clearance.

2) I attached, via supplied rivnuts, the brackets to the front of the spar carry thru to allow adjusting the mounting bracket as low as possible. Mounting to the bottom of the cary thru presents some headliner issues.

3) Attaching to the front of the spar I believe yields the cleanest installation but adds some difficulty to the installation process. Because the windshield is sloping downward, an angle drill is reguired to drill the holes. Also it is difficult to get the rivnut puller perpendicular to the spar carry thru. Then tightening the supplied socket head capscrews with the supplied allen wrench is a tedious process. (I used a 1/4 in drive ratchet and allen socket).

4) I ended up having to chase the rivnut threads with a tap because of the awkwardness during installation. I would have been SOL without my ratcheting tap holder. Keeping the rivnuts as low as possible on the spar carry thru would help some but then I believe you would be drilling holes in a higher stressed area i.e. close to the bottom of the carry thru cap strip.

5) The installation took me ~2.5 hrs because of all the head scrathing and would be a piece of cake without the windshield in place. I will email pix if anyone is interested.

Pete N1320D '51A
800/326-7700
pete@hcr-inc.com